Bought farmland assessed land and became liable for paying rollback taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj33

A seller had 21 acres of land under woodland management ( and farmland assessed ). Land is mostly wetlands with about 2 acres for building. Seller subdivided this land into two parcels
and had all the engineering work done, perc test etc.
Sold one plot where a house was built in 2009.
I applied for permit to build in August 2011 which were issued - so I bought the land in Dec 2011.
Seller cleared the land in Nov 2011. Removed all the tress from 1 acre of the land.
Started building in August 2012.
Few days ago (July 2013) township assessor called to say that we owe roll back taxes because of "change in use" from farmland to regular use.

The "roll back taxes" charged for three past years and levied when there is change in use of farmland assessed land. This law is to prevent land squatters from not paying full tax.

Seller openly subdivided the land, sold it for building two homes with township being aware of it for years and they did nothing.

I was aware of the farmland assessment etc. but not of its implications when I start building the house.

Do I have any recourse in the situation.

As best as I know, township did not charge these taxes from the other person who built the other house in 2009.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards.

AJ

This other person is a neighbor, why not go ask if they have been charged the tax?
If you have received an actual bill for the taxes then take it to a local attorney or even an accountant who may be able to give an assessment based on your local tax law.

Sorry I didn't see your response.

Neighbor was not charged this tax.

I tried several attorneys. Nobody is willing to take the case involving this small amount of $10k.

Sorry I didn't see your response.

Neighbor was not charged this tax.

I tried several attorneys. Nobody is willing to take the case involving this small amount of $10k.

Well, that should be a HINT, shouldn't it?
If there's money in it, one of my brother or sister charlatans at the bar would be all over that like buzzards on carrion.

Time to let go, move in, live your great life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back