Bought a vehicle from a dealership & wont pass emmissions/rusted frame

bugs1993

Bought a used vehicle from a dealership. Test drove it and it seemed fine. Signed the papers and bought it. One week later took it to have echeck (emissions check) which is mandatory in Ohio to get your plates and legally drive on the road. The car did not pass. Had an evap leak and the "check engine light" was not functioning. Doesn't even glow. Had the leak fixed but was told it would still not pass because the light needs to be functioning. Had it checked out by a garage and was told it was a short in the instrument cluster (speedometer, odometer) and would cost roughly $1000. The dealership said if I could find a used cluster online they'd pay $300 of it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one so I'm not sure what to do.

Next I washed the under carriage of the vehicle and the under coating that had been sprayed on started to come off and showed a decent sized hole in the box frame. Started asking around about getting it welded and was told a vehicle is not legal to drive on the road with a welded frame and could be impounded. Therefore, I could never drive it on the road. Also, probably couldn't sell it out of state ever because other states have inspections.

I'm on my second temporary tag which expires in about 27 days I believe.
The vehicle was bought "as is" but I bought an additional warranty, unfortunately it does not cover the work I need.
I've had the vehicle for 33 days.
The dealership told me the vehicle was "guaranteed to pass echeck" when I bought it, but still has not.

The vehicle was also sold with a passenger seatbelt that didn't work properly, but I caught it before purchasing. In writing I have them saying they would order the seat belt and mail it to me for myself to install, but I still haven't gotten it and have called numerous times. There were also no seatbelts in the backseat but I didn't catch this until after purchasing. When I called them and asked about those they said they would not be paying for them.

The blinkers also do not work.

My questions are can a dealership legally sell a vehicle that doesn't have a working check engine light, and does not pass echeck?
Can they sell a vehicle with an unsecure frame? The damage was hidden and never told to me about before purchase?
Can a dealership sell a vehicle with a defective seatbelt/no seatbelts?

Friends have told me I'm at a loss because I bought the vehicle "as is" regardless of an additional warranty and that I have no proof because it will be my word against theirs and I have nothing in writing besides the one seatbelt.
I still feel as though this was false advertising and unsafe for many reasons.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? DO I HAVE A SMALL CLAIMS CASE?

Anyone can file a small claims case for about a hundred bucks.
You'll then have to prove your case.
That's the hard part, based on what you've posted, I see very little proof.

The Ohio small claims court limit is $3,000. This means that the maximum you can sue for in Ohio small claims can't exceed $3,000. If your dispute exceeds $3,000 you cannot sue in small claims, if you do you must lower your claim or file in a higher court.

In the future, never buy a used car until your mechanic has inspected it and told you what ails the aging beast. Had you spent about fifty or a hundred bucks to get the car inspected by YOUR mechanic, you would have saved yourself a bundle.

I don't think you'll ever get that old slab legalized and road ready.

Your state's attorney general says, "as-is", means "as-is":

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...es/Consumers/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto

Last edited:
Back