Bought a car on Craigslist couldn't pass smog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

girlinsd

So I took him to a small claims and won the amount I paid for the car, the amount I paid for the "failed" smog test, and a 'lil extra.
Now what do I do with the car that is parked in my driveway?
Does he come get it?
b.t.w. The DMV paperwork I got at time of purchase (no title or registration) is forged..by him. I didn't/never signed ANY paperwork at time of purchase or after.
THX!

The car should have been returned to him. Did the court indicate that in the judgment?

If it wasn't in the judgment, you should treat the car as abandoned property.

Google "abandoned property in Idaho" (or your state's name). Then follow the directions as to how you should treat abandoned property.

It will probably involve writing and sending the seller a letter or two, letting time pass, and eventually junking the car. But, do what the information for your state indicates.

If you do not want the car then you can likely get a local tow company to take it off your hands. They will tow it and attempt to bill the registered owner (which isn't you). Eventually the tow company will place a lien or take ownership of it... and then scrap it for profit. Call a tow company and see what they will do for you.

That said... you should at least contact the person you bought it from and give them a reasonable deadline to pick up the car before you do anything.

b.t.w. The DMV paperwork I got at time of purchase (no title or registration) is forged..by him. I didn't/never signed ANY paperwork at time of purchase or after.
THX!
What do you mean by "forged?" Is the seller's name legitimately on the title or even the registration? What document or signature did he allegedly "forge?"

Have you run the car by the DMV or the police to verify that it is not stolen?

Yes I ran the car, not stolen.
As far as "forged"..He forged the bill of sale, the "change of ownership" paperwork, etc...
I only got his true identity info by having a friend answer another cl ad he had.
The "dude" actually let my firend see/copy down his drivers license.
That was 'cuz he thought he was making a sale.
Otherwise I'd had nada to file a small claims.

Yes I ran the car, not stolen.
As far as "forged"..He forged the bill of sale, the "change of ownership" paperwork, etc...
I only got his true identity info by having a friend answer another cl ad he had.
The "dude" actually let my firend see/copy down his drivers license.
That was 'cuz he thought he was making a sale.
Otherwise I'd had nada to file a small claims.
I'm still a little confused by what you mean by "forged." Did he manufacture phony documents? Did he sign the REAL owner's name? Forgery has a very definite legal meaning, and if the paperwork was forged, you need to contact the police. But, if the vehicle has not been reported stolen, then it might appear that the real owner know that the guy who sold it has it.

Perhaps you should contact the DMV Investigations unit.

I am in the same situation I purchased a car and it did not pass smog and now i find out there are many things wrong with the car. I do not want the car any more just my money back. I signed a bill of sale. What were the details of your case, so I know what to do to get a favorable outcome. Why did the judge rule in your favor? any details?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back