Boss reneged on raise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellerichards

In a meeting at the beginning of the year, my boss promised myself and another co-worker $1000 pay increases starting in February. Yesterday was payday and when I opened my check I realized it was short the $1000. When I confronted my boss (who also owns the engineering company I work for) he said that he had retracted the raise because I "didn't do enough work" in his eyes. When I pushed the issue he was unable to offer me a specific explanation. I have not been reprimanded or confronted for any wrongdoing on the job so I really have no idea whatsoever why he reneged. He did the exact same thing to my co-worker as well and gave a similar excuse. Are we covered under any kind of employment law in a situation like this? I would like to know if I can pursue legal action or if I just need to cut my losses and move on. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

In a meeting at the beginning of the year, my boss promised myself and another co-worker $1000 pay increases starting in February. Yesterday was payday and when I opened my check I realized it was short the $1000. When I confronted my boss (who also owns the engineering company I work for) he said that he had retracted the raise because I "didn't do enough work" in his eyes. When I pushed the issue he was unable to offer me a specific explanation. I have not been reprimanded or confronted for any wrongdoing on the job so I really have no idea whatsoever why he reneged. He did the exact same thing to my co-worker as well and gave a similar excuse. Are we covered under any kind of employment law in a situation like this? I would like to know if I can pursue legal action or if I just need to cut my losses and move on. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

You are not covered unless you have a specific employment contract signed by both parties.

Thanks for your response Antigone. I was afraid I might be out of luck since nothing was put in writing. I was hoping that since my co-worker bore witness to the verbal contract that we both might have some recourse but I'm aware that enforcing verbal contracts can be tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back