Boss lied to me / refused my unemployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketch82

I started working for a diesel/automotive shop back in January. He was a friend of the family for a long time and he was a good mechanic. I had no experience (which I made blatantly clear when I started) and asked if he would also like me enrolled in an automotives or diesel course at the community college to help me along with my learning. He said, and I quote: "No, I'll teach you everything you need to know right here". Now I will be the first to admit that I was not very good, but I told him it was going to be that way. Now here is where I get to my problem. I was laid off May 27th... and here were his words exactly. "I know we had talked about you taking some time off because of the lack of work around here, so me and Josh (his son) were talking about it, and we're gonna have to let you go. I just can't justify keeping you around when we have nothing to do around here." I immediately asked "Do you know how long this layoff is going to last?", to which he replied "no".
I have quite a bit left in my unemployment after being a maintenance technician for two years and having jobs before that since high school. So I wasn't really all that worried about money. I filed for unemployment for three weeks and hadn't seen any money when I finally went to my boss and asked him if he had any idea why my unemployment may not be going through. Thats when he told me that he had denied it because he "couldn't justify letting me have that money when I spent so much time texting on my cell phone at work". The only time I spent on my cell phone texting at work is when I was completely stuck on a job, and both he and his son were tied up with clients and would not answer my questions. I was not going to just sit around and guess on some guys 8 thousand dollar head job so I would just either text my fiance at home to ask her about something or my ex to arrange picking up my son for the weekend. There is alot more to this story, but I just want to know how I can receive my unemployment or how I can fight this decision by Iowa Work Force. I can give more details if needed

The employer doesn't approve or deny benefits. The state does that. The employer has the right to protest your claim, just as you have the right to appeal if the decision goes against you.

Have, in fact, you received a denial letter? If so, exactly what did it say.

Do not talk to your boss any more about this. At all.

I got a denial letter, I had my fact finding call, they went in favor of him because they said I was loafing on the job. I was not really asked any questions by the fact finder and they went in favor of him. I appealed the decision right away on the grounds that I was not fired, I was laid off according to him. He told the fact finder that he was just trying to be nice.

You'll have to wait for the next hearing.

Your argument will be that you were never warned that what you were doing was against company policy, that you were available to perform any work that you were assigned, and you were not notified that your job was in jeopardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back