boilermaker hiring hall skipped on the list family and friends work fi

mikemikemike

i'm a 25 year member of the union boilermakers in ny , since the beginning i noticed friends and family that are related to the BA or president, or members of the executive board are always called for work first, even if others are before them on the list. Longer term jobs, foreman positions, and just favored conditions are the norm for these people, it's always been overlooked, if you say anything you might not get the next job, or they give you a shit job, while others are comfortable in there position. Well now jobs are few and far between and its very noticeable . Yearly income is not even close to what it used to be , but for some, great jobs still exist for the friends and family club, of which I am not a part of. Calling the BA weekly with the same reply "nope nothing yet" and then you find out that a job came and went and i'm 7 on the list, but nothing for me. What do i do? If i take legal action and nothing good comes of it for me, they WILL retaliate "drop something on ya" is what they say, I already was given a hint once by a "close call" from the BA's son. what do i do im in 25 years, i just want out, they won"t work me, and if a say something they might do something.

If you can retire, think about it.
Otherwise, your remedy lies within your rules, policies, procedures, by-laws, and constitution.
I suggest you start reading to see what remedies exist for members.
There's also the political route.
You and a few other aggrieved members could meet and discuss how to run for office and wrest power away from the current leadership.

If you can retire, think about it.
Otherwise, your remedy lies within your rules, policies, procedures, by-laws, and constitution.
I suggest you start reading to see what remedies exist for members.
There's also the political route.
You and a few other aggrieved members could meet and discuss how to run for office and wrest power away from the current leadership.

to early to retire not even 50 , political route not an option they were "in" and stacked the deck for years bringing in relatives , i've been blackballed pretty good , family and elite run all the way to the international. and the international is even more corrupt. thanks for response , i have to find another option.

What does your CBA say about the order in which members should be called for jobs? Because the law doesn't say anything at all about it.

What does your CBA say about the order in which members should be called for jobs? Because the law doesn't say anything at all about it.

we sign the list then they call from the bottom #1 up, but the company can request the first 4 workers, ba appoints a steward from them. first 4 are always friends and family,the regulars, then they call #1 then #2... , but #37 might be part of the "click" so he gets a job. out of town work is supposed to be given the same way,

"IF" you even know about the job its not posted anywhere. if its a 6 week job the click goes out first then people get sent out and told its 6 weeks but when you get there its already 2 weeks in and you get layed off after 2-3 weeks . there is a click that gets ALL the good,"time" jobs and then rest fill in half way through . im NEVER called out for the beginning of the job . You work 14 days and then if your layed off you sign the list again. i always get the 3-4 day jobs and 14 days is gone quick. others get "good" longer term jobs. and the ba play's it so the friends and family get first dibs. ba could have three jobs and he doesn't disclose the others but pushes the crap job first. if you know its a crap, do you take the 3 day crap job? 5x and your at the bottom again. one good job for the family could, and usually is 2-3 months.

we sign the list then they call from the bottom #1 up, but the company can request the first 4 workers, ba appoints a steward from them. first 4 are always friends and family,the regulars, then they call #1 then #2... , but #37 might be part of the "click" so he gets a job. out of town work is supposed to be given the same way,

"IF" you even know about the job its not posted anywhere. if its a 6 week job the click goes out first then people get sent out and told its 6 weeks but when you get there its already 2 weeks in and you get layed off after 2-3 weeks . there is a click that gets ALL the good,"time" jobs and then rest fill in half way through . im NEVER called out for the beginning of the job . You work 14 days and then if your layed off you sign the list again. i always get the 3-4 day jobs and 14 days is gone quick. others get "good" longer term jobs. and the ba play's it so the friends and family get first dibs. ba could have three jobs and he doesn't disclose the others but pushes the crap job first. if you know its a crap, do you take the 3 day crap job? 5x and your at the bottom again. one good job for the family could, and usually is 2-3 months.

and then they shrug there shoulders and stonewall you.

So your union rep. is of no help?

So your union rep. is of no help?

he's in the click, leader of the click ,taken care of since he got in, always foreman,general foreman, groomed for the position runs unopposed, if you say anything it directly affects the amount of work you are offered, like my situation. you cant prove anything, friends and family are the click. I even believe that since he's related by marriage, to one of a few boiler companies in our area that bids on large power plant work, and ALWAYS this company wins the bid. i think he's the reason this company always wins the bid. prove that. But of course there's not as much local work as before, because obama is "killing coal". Which makes it noticeable to see favoritism.

he's in the click, leader of the click ,taken care of since he got in, always foreman,general foreman, groomed for the position runs unopposed, if you say anything it directly affects the amount of work you are offered, like my situation. you cant prove anything, friends and family are the click. I even believe that since he's related by marriage, to one of a few boiler companies in our area that bids on large power plant work, and ALWAYS this company wins the bid. i think he's the reason this company always wins the bid. prove that. But of course there's not as much local work as before, because obama is "killing coal". Which makes it noticeable to see favoritism.

If the deck is stacked, you can play along, or fight the power.
That's what life is all about, my friend, play along, pretend you don't "see nuttin", or fight the power.
So, go long to get along, try to join them, try to fight them, or tell them you want out - and walk away.

You didn't really answer my question.

Does the CBA expressly state the order in which jobs will be given out? Yes or no.

You didn't really answer my question.

Does the CBA expressly state the order in which jobs will be given out? Yes or no.

no, certain guys are always foreman, others are lucky they have a job. when you get to the job site the foreman is in control , he gives the men the work for the day some have crap jobs on the site for the whole job. and the friends and family get choice positions at the same job. when your there you definitely know who is subordinate . Try telling them this and they laugh, because they know it . Or you "just thru someone under the bus"... Steward is picked by BA , so . its very dirty. Maybe shrinking into the shadows is best, I will not join them, the "E board", i'm not dirty like that.

If the CBA does not state the order in which jobs have to be given out, then nothing illegal is transpiring. It may be unfair - I'm not saying it isn't. But it's not a violation of law. If it's not a violation of contract either, then there's not much, if anything, that you can do.

no, certain guys are always foreman, others are lucky they have a job. when you get to the job site the foreman is in control , he gives the men the work for the day some have crap jobs on the site for the whole job. and the friends and family get choice positions at the same job. when your there you definitely know who is subordinate . Try telling them this and they laugh, because they know it . Or you "just thru someone under the bus"... Steward is picked by BA , so . its very dirty. Maybe shrinking into the shadows is best, I will not join them, the "E board", i'm not dirty like that.

Here's a thought, and it won't be dirty.
You can speak about this with others who believe the behavior is unfair.
Together you grow, and run for office on the platform that together the system can be made fair.
Think about it, because I'm sure you aren't the only person that feels the actions of your leadership are wrong.

Letters to the NLRB, your congress people, and US senators might also be useful, as would be anonymous letters to the media.

If you want to destroy corruption, you have to fight it.
It could start here:

http://www.nlrb.gov/news-outreach/graphs-data/charges-and-complaints/charges-and-complaints

Back