Boat Sale Gone Wrong

Malrey

Jurisdiction
Florida
My husband and I just sold our sailboat to a young mans that was going to sail it for a few hundred miles up to Panama City. The boat is older (a 1979 Catalina 30). The young man had the boat surveyed and sea trialed. Two days after selling the young man texted my husband saying we should come pick up the boat and return the funds because the boat is not seaworthy. Sea tow is currently in possession of the boat with an $1800 lien on it. I have no idea what happened, as this text was sent at 1am and he hasn't responded to queries.

When my husband sold the boat he did not print out the form that says "as is" on it. I'm not sure what has happened to the boat. Are we liable in any case, since the "as is" clause was not put on the bill of sale?

Thank you!

I agree.
Did you submit all the paperwork to change ownership as required? If not then the bill might come to you. Stay on top of that. You might look into the matter and make sure you are not getting billed and incurring daily fees.

It is his boat and his responsibility since the day of the sale. You don't have to give anything back unless a court orders it.

Are we liable in any case, since the "as is" clause was not put on the bill of sale?

You might be liable for the boat tow, IF transfer of ownership was NOT effected properly.

Why?

Because if you still OWN the boat, you could get charged.

However, if you don't care, the tow operator will simply place a lien against the boat and attempt to sell it.

You've been paid by the alleged new owner, so it won't harm you financially if the tow operator does slap a lien on the boat for failure not to pay the tow.

You might review your paperwork to ensure the transaction occurred properly under FL law.

Back