Blood Subpoenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjormi6978

Need to know if someone can be subpoenaed for their blood for medical researching. Someone i know is saying that because of their rare blood type that they have been subpoenaed for their blood for HIV research. Is this possible?

Heck no.

Absolutely not. That is a blatant violation of the person's rights. S/he CANNOT be compelled to take part in medical research against his/her will.

Nyet. Nein. Non.

NO.

Okay? :)

Need to know if someone can be subpoenaed for their blood for medical researching. Someone i know is saying that because of their rare blood type that they have been subpoenaed for their blood for HIV research. Is this possible?

A person can be forced to have their blood drawn if they are a suspect in a criminal proceeding.

In the federal system, a person under criminal indictment can be ordered to provide a blood or DNA sample!

This is often done when rape or sexual crimes are involved, when an offender's DNA has been left at a crime scene, or in other more rare circumstances.

A person would not be subpoenaed, however.

A warrant would be issued to compel them to comply and submit DNA material.

A subpoena requires some sort of legal action. If your friend is not being sued or prosecuted, no subpoena will issue. Some other court action might have been initiated, but I cannot imagine a court compelling anyone to give blood solely for academic research. if this has happened somehow, your friend needs to speak with an attorney.

I suspect, however, that either your friend has mis-characterized this to you, is mistaken as to what they received actually said, or is pulling your leg.

A subpoena requires some sort of legal action. If your friend is not being sued or prosecuted, no subpoena will issue. Some other court action might have been initiated, but I cannot imagine a court compelling anyone to give blood solely for academic research. if this has happened somehow, your friend needs to speak with an attorney.

I suspect, however, that either your friend has mis-characterized this to you, is mistaken as to what they received actually said, or is pulling your leg.

I believe your last sentence is most likely what's happened.

My background is clinical drug trials. There is no way on this planet that any reputable drug company, hospital or other research facility would try to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back