Blackmailed to remove restraining order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwhite24

A friend has a restraining order against her ex. He has violated the order once already and was arrested. We live in a small town which made it difficult for him to stick around, so he left. Now he wants to move back but cannot with the restraining order in place. He has called her and is blackmailing her by threatening to release personal and private information to her family, friends, and work if she does not drop the restraining order. She is afraid to alert the police as it may scare him and cause him to release the information. She is also afraid that they will not be able to do anything about it.

She panicked and called for an appointment to drop the restraining order but they said that they will make her state for the record under oath why she is dropping the order. She refuses to lie under oath, as she should. If she contacts the police, will they be able to do anything? Will they be able to prevent him from leaking this potentially harmful information? Does this in any way violate the restraining order or does that vary depending on the stipulations of different restraining orders?

I am just trying to give her any options other than giving into the blackmailer while still being protected from the release of hurtful information. Any credible comments would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

The restraining order may have been violated, if the two of them have been communicating.
If he contacts her, she should document it and report it to the court or police, along with her proof.
If he tells the truth, he hasn't violated any laws and would not be in violation of the order.
I'm sorry, there's little she can do to stop the truth from being told.
Think of the many celebrities and politicians who learned that lesson.

Not that it truly matters as you are a third party and removed from the situation, but I would like to clear it up for future readers and for personal comfort. I wouldn't call it a shameful past. She met the guy in an art class several years ago. She volunteered to be a nude model for the afternoon to get an art credit. He secretly snapped photos of her, which was prohibited. This isn't the worst thing in the world, but her parents are ultra conservative, she would lose some standing with her closer friends at her church (which is unfortunate, but true), and she works for a Christian bookstore which would look down on the nude photos, despite their intention. Thank you very much for your quick response. I really appreciate it.

Not that it truly matters as you are a third party and removed from the situation, but I would like to clear it up for future readers and for personal comfort. I wouldn't call it a shameful past. She met the guy in an art class several years ago. She volunteered to be a nude model for the afternoon to get an art credit. He secretly snapped photos of her, which was prohibited. This isn't the worst thing in the world, but her parents are ultra conservative, she would lose some standing with her closer friends at her church (which is unfortunate, but true), and she works for a Christian bookstore which would look down on the nude photos, despite their intention. Thank you very much for your quick response. I really appreciate it.

Well, I'm sure the alleged blackmailer and photographer would tell another version of the alleged events.
Either way, and not that it matters, who does that?
One's religious beliefs aside, I don't know anyone that gets naked for MONEY (even one time).
But, I hear there is a name for that.
And, the name ain't one I'd post here!!!!!

Sometimes, in fact, most of the time, LESS IS MORE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back