Birth certificate

Trish JC

Jurisdiction
California
What are the potential risks in providing my husband's ex-wife with an uncertified copy of his birth certificate? Why might she need such a document? Their children are adults and have their own identification and passports.

A genealogy project, perhaps?
Why not ask her why she needs it?
The information on the birth certificate is available online, so there really aren't any risks to be concerned about.

Considering she can obtain a certified copy at any time, I'm not sure what your concern is. It is certainly odd that she would ask her ex-husband's new spouse for a document of any kind.

What are the potential risks in providing my husband's ex-wife with an uncertified copy of his birth certificate?

What exactly are you asking? Are you asking us to hypothesize about the thousands of potential (albeit exceedingly unlikely) risks? The risk exists that she will invent a time machine and go back in time and kill the doctor identified on the birth certificate as the delivering physician. Obviously, she might also go back and kill your husband's parents. Shall I go on hypothesizing?

Why might she need such a document?

Are you in the habit of inquiring of third persons about someone's motives? If you want to know why she wants it, why not ask her?

she can obtain a certified copy at any time

If the OP's husband was born in California, that's incorrect.

The information on the birth certificate is available online

If the OP's husband was born in California, this isn't correct (at least as to any official source of information).

The retroactive abortion hypothesis is both ludicrous and not helpful. The ex was found to have committed fraud during divorce proceedings so an honest answer is not expected. However, a fraud investigator indicates that under NO circumstances should a former spouse be provided with a copy of a birth certificate to which they are not entitled. I appreciate the thoughtful responses to my inquiry.

What?

What exactly are you asking? Are you asking us to hypothesize about the thousands of potential (albeit exceedingly unlikely) risks? The risk exists that she will invent a time machine and go back in time and kill the doctor identified on the birth certificate as the delivering physician. Obviously, she might also go back and kill your husband's parents. Shall I go on hypothesizing?

Are you in the habit of inquiring of third persons about someone's motives? If you want to know why she wants it, why not ask her?

If the OP's husband was born in California, that's incorrect.

If the OP's husband was born in California, this isn't correct (at least as to any official source of information).
The retroactive abortion hypothesis is both ludicrous and not helpful. The ex was found to have committed fraud during divorce proceedings so an honest answer is not expected. However, a fraud investigator indicates that under NO circumstances should a former spouse be provided with a copy of a birth certificate to which they are not entitled. But I appreciate those who provided thoughtful responses to my inquiry.

The retroactive abortion hypothesis is both ludicrous and not helpful. The ex was found to have committed fraud during divorce proceedings so an honest answer is not expected. However, a fraud investigator indicates that under NO circumstances should a former spouse be provided with a copy of a birth certificate to which they are not entitled. But I appreciate those who provided thoughtful responses to my inquiry.

I read it I just don't get it. You should have known the ex committed fraud during the divorce before you asked this. I'm confused by your initial question and now this response.

I read it I just don't get it. You should have known the ex committed fraud during the divorce before you asked this. I'm confused by your initial question and now this response.
The response was intended for zddodah but I posted improperly. Because I am aware of the ex's previous fraud, I wanted to see if there were potential risks for future fraud with the latest request for my husband's birth certificate. My apologies if it the original question was posed unclearly.

For Pete's sake, neither you nor your husband have any obligation to give her the time of day.

If you don't want to give it just say no and stop kvetching over it.

The response was intended for zddodah but I posted improperly.

Some who post here seem to enjoy demeaning people rather than trying to assist in any way.

Your question was clear enough. She is asking for an uncertified copy for who knows what reason. She can obtain plenty of this information from resources online. You might just direct her to those.
There isn't much of anything she could do with an uncertified copy, so the risks are minimal.
Still, is none of her business anymore.

Some who post here seem to enjoy demeaning people rather than trying to assist in any way.

Your question was clear enough. She is asking for an uncertified copy for who knows what reason. She can obtain plenty of this information from resources online. You might just direct her to those.
There isn't much of anything she could do with an uncertified copy, so the risks are minimal.
Thank you kindly. I had thought I was dealing with professional people. I was surprised to find otherwise.

I didn't demean anyone. I was confused how she went from asking if she had to give it to the ex to stating "oh she committed fraud and I was told I don't have to give it to her." That's it. It confused me. Excuse me for asking for clarification.

I didn't demean anyone. I was confused how she went from asking if she had to give it to the ex to stating "oh she committed fraud and I was told I don't have to give it to her." That's it. It confused me. Excuse me for asking for clarification.

My comment was NOT directed at you.

Last edited:
I don't think you were demeaning, it was clear I had confused you. It was two other responses that were obviously intended to demean. While waiting for responses to this thread, I contacted a friend who is a fraud investigator so I know we don't need to provide it. But I just wanted to know if she could do anything to harm my husband's credit or anything else if he decides to give it to her.

Thank you kindly. I had thought I was dealing with professional people. I was surprised to find otherwise.

Was the person born in the United States?

Does the person claim to be a citizen of the USA?

Have you seen the person's certified BC or his passport?

I ask because the woman requesting the BC might have discovered an angle unknown to you and your hubby.

Was the person born in the United States?

Does the person claim to be a citizen of the USA?

Have you seen the person's certified BC or his passport?

I ask because the woman requesting the BC might have discovered an angle unknown to you and your hubby.
Yes, born and raised here and has a valid passport. Thank you for thinking outside the box, though.

I can think of one potential reason.

How old are the children? I understand that they are adults and have their own identification.

Back