Bigamy Laws in Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

justbeinghonest

I got married to my spouse in 1999. I found out in 2002 that he was still married to his first wife. He got an attorney and the divorce was finalized in 2004. He and I remained as husband and wife until he left me in 2011. I found out in Feb of 2012 he was getting remarried. I questioned him on this and he denied it. Needless to say I found out he did get married in June 2012. I went to my local County Records to see if there was a divorce on file for he and I and of course there wasn't. I constantly asked him on several occasions to meet me at our local court house so that we could apply for a non contest divorce and we would split the cost.( We do have a child together but she is not a minor).He always just gave me excuses so it never happened. May 2013 I asked him for the last time and he said that we could do it around the 6th of June. Of course once that day came it did not happen. I finally got fed up and I call the local District Attorney Office to find out what I should do, they told me to contact my local police department. I did just that, went and filed a written statement along with giving them a copy of my marriage license, the new marriage license, and a copy of the divorce decree from his first wife. I then contacted my local Legal Aid Agency to see if they could assist me in filing my divorce. I filed my petition with the courts August 2013. I told my spouse I filed for a divorce and he told me I was wrong that I should have waited for him to get his life and finances situated. Needless to say he would not answer the door when the sheriff tried to serve him. We recently had a close friend pass away, before the death of this friend he told my spouse to let me go so that I can go on with my life. My spouse contacted me a couple days later and asked me if I had some papers for him to sign, I told him that I had a waiver he could sign in front of a notary agreeing to the divorce and he does not have to be served. He agreed to sign the waiver and bring it to me so I could proceed with this divorce. He picked the papers up on a Friday and I did not hear from him. I waited until the following Thursday and then I contacted the detective that I filed the case with to find out where they were with the case. The detective told me he was still waiting to hear from the DA's office. I know these cases take time but its been long enough and I feel like my spouse is playing with my emotions. I asked the detective if there was anything else he could do and he told me that he could issue a warrant for his arrest. I agreed to that because I figured at least if he's in jail they can serve him without fail. While the detective was waiting for the judge to sign off on the warrant he contacted my spouse to ask him if he was willing to come in and give a written statement in his defense. I'm guessing that as soon as he hung up the phone with the detective he calls me. I did not answer my phone so he calls my son and my son bought me his phone, I got on the phone to him telling me I was wrong for calling the police on him. I listened to him, I then told him that it did not have to get to this point if he just did what I asked him to do several months ago. Later that evening I received a phone call from someone claiming to be his attorney telling me to meet them at the local court house the next morning. I told him I could not do it cause it was too short of notice then he tells me that if I want this to be over I better be there. I told him that all his client has to do is sign the waiver and it will be over, he informed me his client was not signing anything without see the divorce decree papers.(I forgot to keep the original date stamped petition before mailing it back to Legal Aid) I told him the same thing I told my spouse that this was a no contest divorce and that I am not asking for any thing from his client that all I wanted was my life back and he told me that the sooner I get to the court house to sign the papers the sooner I would get my life back. I told him that I would have Legal Aid fax him a copy of the petition and hung up the phone but not without telling him to not contact me again to contact Legal Aid. The next day I called Legal Aid to inform them of what was going on and to see if they could fax the attorney a copy of the original petition. I was told that it does not show an attorney representing my spouse and that they could not fax the petition to the attorney but they would mail the original petition. My spouse contacted me again yesterday telling me I was stupid for filing for a divorce and that the charges filed on him will not stick because we were not legally married since he was still married to his first wife. My question is, is this true.

I want to help you with this issue but I refuse to read one long paragraph. If you break it into individual numbered questions I will answer them. Also please say what state you are in.

Sent from Nexus 5 on Slimkat

The OP is in Tx. per title of thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back