Best course of action

Matthew S.

Jurisdiction
British Columbia
My wife of 5 years left a few weeks ago. We have 1 1/2 yr old son, who is probably biologically not mine. I hold that my wife is not in a mental or financial state to take custody of our son, and the guy she ran to is no better off.
I am trying to be as prepared as possible for getting sole custody of our son, and keeping her involved in his life through visitation. She originally agreed to give me custody, but through her sisters, is being convinced that she needs to take him back to Alberta.
She arrives home mid December, and has agreed to sign papers before seeing our son. I am worried that she will refuse, at which point, I need to know what I have to do in regards to gaining emergency custody, as multiple people she has talked with, feel she intends to take our son and run to Alberta.

Of notable points
-She has cheated with at least 8 guys, probably more, engaging in sex in parking lots, their home's while our son was with her.
-She has no money at all, terrible money skills, and would rather not work. She actually asked me for grocery money a short time ago.
-Her family has a history of severe bi-polarism, and she is displaying many signs of it, as many people have commented that she seems to switch personalities between two extremes.
-She has been sexually assaulted when she was younger, and refused any kind of therapy or counseling.
-She used to self harm herself through cutting, and in our relationship would often throw things at me, or hit or kick when she got mad.
-She walked away from our son at the airport without ensuring any legalities took place.
-Her parents have stated that they will testify against her abilities as a parent in court, and will not support her in a custody claim.

How many of these points are admissible? And if she refuses to sign over guardianship willingly, what is my best course of action? I am self-employed in the construction industry, and don't have a lot of money, but I am willing to put whatever I have towards ensuring my son's safety, as I am concerned for his well being if she takes him. Any opinions are readily welcomed.

My wife of 5 years left a few weeks ago. We have 1 1/2 yr old son, who is probably biologically not mine. I hold that my wife is not in a mental or financial state to take custody of our son, and the guy she ran to is no better off.
I am trying to be as prepared as possible for getting sole custody of our son, and keeping her involved in his life through visitation. She originally agreed to give me custody, but through her sisters, is being convinced that she needs to take him back to Alberta.
She arrives home mid December, and has agreed to sign papers before seeing our son. I am worried that she will refuse, at which point, I need to know what I have to do in regards to gaining emergency custody, as multiple people she has talked with, feel she intends to take our son and run to Alberta.

Of notable points
-She has cheated with at least 8 guys, probably more, engaging in sex in parking lots, their home's while our son was with her.
-She has no money at all, terrible money skills, and would rather not work. She actually asked me for grocery money a short time ago.
-Her family has a history of severe bi-polarism, and she is displaying many signs of it, as many people have commented that she seems to switch personalities between two extremes.
-She has been sexually assaulted when she was younger, and refused any kind of therapy or counseling.
-She used to self harm herself through cutting, and in our relationship would often throw things at me, or hit or kick when she got mad.
-She walked away from our son at the airport without ensuring any legalities took place.
-Her parents have stated that they will testify against her abilities as a parent in court, and will not support her in a custody claim.

How many of these points are admissible? And if she refuses to sign over guardianship willingly, what is my best course of action? I am self-employed in the construction industry, and don't have a lot of money, but I am willing to put whatever I have towards ensuring my son's safety, as I am concerned for his well being if she takes him. Any opinions are readily welcomed.

Your IP indicates you're posting from BC, Canada.
This forum is staffed with volunteers who barely know US law, and nothing about Canadian laws.
You should speak with a solicitor in your area.

Good luck.

Back