benefits garnished

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny1980

I am disabled and I recently began receiving social security disability benefits. I have a minor child and when I became eligible for benefits, my child was also eligible. However, his mother chose to file for benefits for the child under her husbands social security rather than mine. My benefits are being garnished for back child support even though if his mother had filed under my social security benefits, I wouldn't be responsible for making the monthly child support payments because it would be taken care of by the social security benefits the child would receive on my behalf. Is it legal for her to receive social security benefits for the child from his step-father and still garnish my benefits? I have gone to the child support office several times but have only gotten the run around. how can I stop my benefits from being unfairly garnished?

You need to call legal aid asap to see if some can help you. Since you are disabled and you might be getting undfairly garnished, an attorney should be able to help you pro-bono. Please start calling around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back