Beneficiary died before receiving his assests in the will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN245

Hello,

Let's just say this is a big family mess.

My Grandfather pasted away 5 years ago. He had a will. It said the three step children were to split up the estate after all the bills had been paid. The eldest son was named executor of the estate in the will. He is crooked as the day is long.

Among the assests was a house, bank account and two CD's that matured at different times.

The first CD was cashed and split three ways. My father paid his brother his 1/3 of the house so he could continue to live there. My father was to pay his sister her 1/3 at the time of cashing the second CD. Which he never got around to for he passed away before it came into maturity.

My Uncle had a key to my dad's house. He let himself into the house and took many items that were not his. He has those items and refuses to turn them over. Saying he lost them at his house. He lied to us and said my dad's truck-well dad sold it. Later the neighbor told us here to find it.

I confronted my uncle and told him he needed to return the truck to my dad's house. He never did. We had to go retrieve it from his house.

The day after my dad's funeral my aunt and uncle decided to tell us that my dad's house belonged to them now. That the second CD was not going to be split three ways either. That it now belonged to just the two of them.

After several hours of talking and a day later, they agreed to us keeping the house and my brother paying our aunt her 1/3 of the house from the proceeds of the CD being now split three ways. Our aunt and uncle agree to spliting up the back taxes for the last 4 years on the house. The house was never taken out of the parents names. Would be my Grandparents.

After I wrote up an affidavit spliting up the property as we all had discussed we mailed it out for all to sign and notarize. Out of all 5 of us only 4 signed it. Our uncle declined after we had an oral agreement. We had a third party -non interested party witness this meeting we had.

Not long after the funeral my uncle cashed the CD and only split it two ways leaving out the 1/3 that had been given to my dad in the will, and not following the oral agreement we had all come to while still in North Dakota where the money, house and will are all at. My Grandfather lived in North Dakota.

All three of us children live in MN.

Does my dad's share of the second CD named in the will come to us or to his sister and brother. Our father had no will. Passed away early.

Because my aunt still has 1/3 interest in the house, does the entire house go to her or does the affidavit our aunt signed allow time for us to pay her for the 1/3 she agreed to wait for with the cashing of the CD?

Please help advice on what North Dakota law has to say.

Thanks,

Kathy

Basically you have a big mess. You need to get a copy of the probate file on your Grandmother and also your Grandfather and then take everything to an attorney. The bank account and CD's may have passed outside of the estate.

Someone needs to start probate immediately on your Dad and be named as personal representative. The personal representative can demand return of the items or sue for their value. Losing them is not a defense.

Hi,

My Grandparents wills never made it into record at the court house. My uncle to this date has not filed my Grandfathers will after 5 years. Can I legally request a copy of the will and informal probate forms from him, the ones he should of filed with the court house in ND?

Thanks,

Hello,

After several more phone calls to an attorney and the court house the court house finally found my grandfather's will. Just a couple paper have been filed. My uncle ran the newpapers ads and excepted the position of excutor. That is all that was filed. I tried to get him to finish filling the assets/Deed of Distribution,Receipts and Disbursement,Receipts and Disbursement and the closing of the estate paperwork. He took some information to the attorney, but he could not make heads or tails of what he brought in so the attorney did nothing to date, 2 months later. I got a subpeona and it was delivered to my Uncle asking for this information. He took the subpeona to the attorney and since I had asked for my uncle to return some personal belongings of my father's to us children he told my uncle that he needed to seek legal help else where. Never finishing out the will paper work. Now my uncle is in breach of the subpeona dead line. I spoke with the clerk of court to get the proper paperwork to start a court case against my uncle in probate court. Her response was your uncle doesn't know what you want from him so you need to go talk to the attorney that wrote out the will. I told her I already did that and didn't get the information that I wanted.

Nothing like fighting my uncle and clerk of court.

What about sending the police out to my unlce's house with the same subpeona and having the take what ever documents he does have regarding my grand father's estate? Just the information that I requested in the subpeona (FIFA). Can I have then do that?

Need much help here.

The police are not going to get involved in a family dispute. Probably your best course of action is to request that your Uncle be removed as the PR. Once you are named the PR you can get the financial information from the IRS, banks, etc. You could also sue your Uncle in the name of the estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back