Being sued by JCPennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jren001

A month ago my daughter had a lapse in judgement and shoplifted from JCPennies for one of her "friends" who talked her into it. This is the first time this has ever happened and she was caught. She was arrested before leaving the store and recieved 6 months informal probation had to pay $150 in fines and restitution and 16 hours of community service. She has done all of these now and just has to finish her probation (and subsequent grounding by us for her entire probation no cell phone no laptop no going out with friends etc.). When she was arrested she asked the store if she needed to pay them for the merchandise and they said no.

Here is the issue I have. Today I recieved a letter from Palmer, Reifler, and Associates, P.A. basicly stating that per Burns Indiana Code Sections 34-24-3-1 and 34-24-3-2 I am being sued for the amount of $300 and have to pay in full in 20 days or go to court. From what I have found via research this company has done this to others and after then have paid in full the company came after them again for twice the amount they paid the first time. Is this normal or even legal? Should I fight it or would that ultimately cost more in the end? Anyone dealt with these folks before? Any help would be appreciated.

p.s. The total cost of merchandise she tried to take was $68.37.

Last edited:
Its state law its called Civil Demand its 100% legal and failure to pay can cause fine to triple or get you sued which could cost thousands. There is no way out of this pay the fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back