being sued by husband's uncle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbisc1218

I was recently served with papers saying my husband and I are being sued by my husband's uncle for $2600. He says he lent my husband $1700 dollars in spring 2007, paid $100 for my husband's bail, $15 for long distance phone calls and another loan for $325 this winter. He never even mentioned anything to us about money so this was a surprise. I have a few questions:
1. My husband and I were married 1 month ago so am I even liable for whatever debts he supposedly incurred?
2. We never borrowed (or received at all) $325 this winter, the $1700 that he claims was a loan was "given" to my husband because he and I were not living together, he had lost his job and he had an 11 year old daughter to take care of so the uncle said he would help him out for his daughter's sake. Can he actually sue for the money back that was a gift and how can we prove that a $325 loan doesn't exist?
3. All of our property was being stored at the uncle's house (with his permission) until we found a new place to live and now that we have, he won't give our possessions back and hangs up on us every time we call. Can we file a counterclaim?

You are free to counterclaim........But you have to get a lawyer or represent yourselves in court. Get all evidence and witnesses...........You have raised valid arguments but we can't tell since we know just one side of the story. Only the judge would listen to both sides and determine what if any claim is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back