Being Prosecuted Against

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Boyfriend stole approximately $700 worth of sunglasses at Sunglass Hut, and they're prosecuting against him. He is 16 years old and this is his first offense. His court date is in two days, and we are both very worried. He does not have a job, and his family is on the poorer side. What are possible things that could happen to him? Please help if you know anything.

Boyfriend stole approximately $700 worth of sunglasses at Sunglass Hut, and they're prosecuting against him. He is 16 years old and this is his first offense. His court date is in two days, and we are both very worried. He does not have a job, and his family is on the poorer side. What are possible things that could happen to him? Please help if you know anything.

At the tender age 16 years old, very little happens to teenagers.
He could get probation, his parents will pay a fine, pay some court costs and fees, and he may have to pay (his parents again) for his probation.

He will be required toi get a "C" average in high school, remain in school, and be a good student behavior wise), and this will all be washed away.

If he screws up, he'll be locked away in "kiddie" prison, required to attend kiddie prison school, and monitored 24/7, when locked in his cage.

Sunglass Hut... As I recall just about everything of value is not readily accessible to the customer, so this may be a little more than shoplifting.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was facing felony charges for robbery, which carries more severe consequences even for a first offender.
The details of how this occurred will likely dictate the severity of the punishment. I'd expect him to do a short stint in juvenile hall, pay fines, and have a year probation or so. This is assuming no priors.

Back