being harassed at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazel1966

I have been employed for the same company for 4 years now. I recently applied for a job in a different division. The Manager of that division wants to hire me, but was told by my current boss that he found out I had a past. I was convicted of a Felony 8 years ago. On our Company applications it does not ask that question so I did not lie to my employeer. I have been an excellent employee for the last 4 years, and not once have I been written up. Yesterday I had a meeting with the manager who wants to hire me and a vp of the company. The vp asked me if what my conviction was for, and I told him. He also asked me if I would be willing for them to do a background check on me, which I agreed to. The manager who wants to hire me stated that this has NEVER been asked of anyone else in our company, and that he did not care about my past, as all he cares about is how I have performed on my job. He also stated that they are racking me over the coals, as there are other people in the company that have been introuble with the law. He told me to hang in there, and he will do his best to get me hired. He also told me that what they were doing to me is not right, and is grounds for a lawsuit, I do not know what to do, as I really want this job. My current boss told me I should of shared this with him. If they do not ask this question on the application nor have they done background checks on anyone else, why are the doing this to me. I could use any advise someone could give me.

What state are you in? Does whatever you were convicted for have any connection to the job you are applying for (example: shoplifting - job in retail sales)?

It makes a difference to the answer.

I live in Iowa, and I was convicted of Band
k Fraud. I was writing bad checks on a account I did not have. It had nothing to do with a job.

That wasn't what I meant. Since you were convicted of writing bad checks, it would have a connection to the job if you were applying for a job in Accounts Payable, for example.

However, since you live in Iowa, where there are no laws which make it illegal to take an employee's or applicant's criminal record into consideration when making employment decisions, it's a moot point. Whether they asked the question or not, they are legally free to refuse to transfer you because of your record.

Legally, they can, though I can't imagine why they'd want to at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back