Being harassed and asked to quit because of illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vera1009

I am Medical Assistant at a cardiologist private practice in Maryland. This past year I've missed a lot of work due to hospital stays and time off suggested by my doctor. I have always given my job information on my health and written Drs excuse or hospital discharge papers .Two of the doctors I work for even sent me to the emergency room while at work. Two month ago I was asked to resign, because it would be better for the practice and I refused. The CEO of the practice got mad and asked me why would I what to work a place where im not wanted. I was told it was selfish of me not to quit. Before I got sick I was told I was one of the best employee they had with a great review. Now they made it clear they have never paid unemployment, to anyone since they opened in 1985 and didn't plan on starting with me. Recently I was told because of my time off for appointments. I wasn't making 40 hrs a week and the drop my benefits but im still on the schedule for 40hrs. (Can they do that?) I only had two choices take partime 20 hrs a work or get fired, my choice. It's a set up because my work load is going to be the same. What should I do? I know Im being harassed but I take it, because I need a job.

I think you should focus on future employment. Find people who can verify your skills that you are in good standing with that will serve as references. Take the twenty hours, but only do as much work as you would normally do. Express to them that you do not have enough time to perform your assignments, if that is the case. Continue to work, but be vocal about your feelings on what your employer asks you to do. They cannot rightfully terminate you for that, but they can for refusal to comply. If you are fired for no good reason, you will still be eligible for unemployment.

Take the 20 hours file for unemployment under reduced hours, is one option contacting an attorney would be another option. The employer has to engage in an interactive process once a disability is identified or perceived, and a reasonable accommodation should be formulated. Telling you to "quit so we don't have to pay unemployment" hardly gives rise to a reasonable accommodation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back