Consumer Law, Warranties Being banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradenR

I'm assuming this is the description? So last night I had sort of a dispute with one of my managers, which led me to walking out of work (I work at a local movie theater) in the argue ment there were harsh words exchanged (only foul language, no threats). on my way out the door I was told I was "never allowed back there again", I'm a youth (16 years of age). no papers were signed, no words exchanged after that. Does this mean I am LEGALLY banned from the property? If so how long can a ban last? Can they even ban me from the property for a simple argument? If I'm not can they refuse me service?

They can certainly call local LEO and have you arrested for trespassing. I'd suggest you find another entertainment venue. (This would be my advice if you were in one of the fifty US states; I don't think anyone here has any working knowledge of Canadian law, much less specific Canadian provincial law.)

I'm assuming this is the description? So last night I had sort of a dispute with one of my managers, which led me to walking out of work (I work at a local movie theater) in the argue ment there were harsh words exchanged (only foul language, no threats). on my way out the door I was told I was "never allowed back there again", I'm a youth (16 years of age). no papers were signed, no words exchanged after that. Does this mean I am LEGALLY banned from the property? If so how long can a ban last? Can they even ban me from the property for a simple argument? If I'm not can they refuse me service?

Banned is what it might have been called, effectively in Texas we call it "trespassed". In our legal parlance it means you have been told to stay off of their property. It's done a tad more formally, and usually followed by a letter admonishing the person "trespassed" to stay off the premises or they're subject to arrest by the police.

In Texas, the police usually record the "trespass" so that they can effect an arrest if the subject ever returned. I suggest you discuss the matter with your parents because you're a juvenile. Otherwise, do yourself a favor, and avoid the place. I'm unsure if it was done correctly in BC, so you might inquire of your provincial or local police just so you can be properly informed of the law in your neck of the woods.

Last edited:
If you were told never to come back there again (banned), you might just want to find a different theatre to go to. However to know the actual law in your area you would have to ask the police or a "lawyer" in your area.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96462_01#section9.1

Trespass prohibited

4 (1) Subject to section 4.1, a person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:

(a) enters premises that are enclosed land;

(b) enters premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the entry is prohibited;

(c) engages in activity on or in premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the activity is prohibited.

(2) A person found on or in premises that are enclosed land is presumed not to have the consent of an occupier or an authorized person to be there.

(3) Subject to section 4.1, a person who has been directed, either orally or in writing, by an occupier of premises or an authorized person to

(a) leave the premises, or

(b) stop engaging in an activity on or in the premises,

commits an offence if the person

(c) does not leave the premises or stop the activity, as applicable, as soon as practicable after receiving the direction, or

(d) re-enters the premises or resumes the activity on or in the premises.
Defences to trespass

4.1 A person may not be convicted of an offence under section 4 in relation to premises if the person's action or inaction, as applicable to the offence, was with

(a) the consent of an occupier of the premises or an authorized person,

(b) other lawful authority, or

(c) colour of right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back