Bashing My boss in the Goodbye Email - Can my boss/employer sue me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSharma

Hi,

I have been fired from my job without giving any reasons and I have been given 1 weeks notice. I'm an "At will" employee at a company where no union is involved and I can't do anything against it legally.

I want to expose my boss and what he did to everyone else in the company. I'm planning doing so in my goodbye/farewell email. Can doing this create any legal difficulties for me?

I'm absolutely not looking to get any recommendations/references from this company and I have nothing really to loose in terms of relationships. I feel really cheated and used (I'm getting terminated after I relocated from a different state, leaving a good full time job). I just want to understand whether there could be any legal repercussions.

Thanks,
Mike S

Yes, doing so could potentially cause problems for you, especially if you are planning a massive group email to all employees that says mean and nasty things that can't be substantiated.

If your goodbye email is just to the boss then be as nasty as you want. All he can do is cry.
If your comments are intended to be seen/heard by others then you have to worry about slander/libel. You can still write your letter, but you should be cautious about what you say and how you say it.

You also should consider the fact that even if you are not looking for references from this company, a potential employer is ABSOLUTELY entitled to ask for them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back