Personal Bankruptcy Bankruptcy question re:new laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily6

From upstate New York; Question about new bankruptcy laws and being insolvent.
Due to a recent separation and living on 1 income instead of 2 is there any way around the new laws to be able to file before it has been 8 years? The first time was a chapter 7 in 2002 due to being laid off. Now my credit in as poor as it can get and I have bill collectors after me. Between my rent, utilities, car payment, insurance and medical expenses I'm coming up short every month. I have made arrangements with 3 companies so far but can't afford to pay any more out. And I've been looking for part time work. Basically I've become insolvent and I've even tried debt management but can't afford their monthly figures either. Is there any way out for example filing a Chapter 13 instead of a 7. I thank you in advance if you've offered me help!!

Last edited:
You cannot have taxpayers bail you out everytime you fail to get a hold of your finances. You will have to continue to make arrangements to pay your creditors and find ways to cut on expenses around the house.

I was looking for guidance and answers not judgement

I wasn't looking for the tax payers to bail me out of my situation and besides people that declare bankruptcy has no affect on the tax payers in New York state. Also I wasn't looking to get out of paying my debt I was looking for information that would fit a small budget and allow me to repay my debt but consolidated and at an amount I can afford each month. So since you didn't have any advise just judgment you should have kept your reply to your self. there is no where else I can cut expenses at home I live on cereal and peanut butter most of the time or don't eat at all. I don't go out and I don't drive anywhere expect to work and back and doctor visits or the store. My ex put me in my current situation and I've been shelling out money to attorneys to settle disputes my ex has created one of them being this huge mortgage for a house that I'm not even living in anymore. And in case you don't keep up on the news New York State is the most expensive state to live in and it's falling apart because our government sucks and just makes the rich richer and poor poorer. And it's apparent that you have never been in a situation like mine and never been laid off of a job due to company cut backs or had to deal with 5 major surgeries and everything that comes with that all before the age of 35. I have worked my whole life because we were poor and been supporting myself since middle school and I bust my butt at every job I have ever had which includes working 20 hour days. I pay my taxes just like everyone else and I've never burdened the system with going on welfare because those are the people that take advantage of the system. And when I declared bankruptcy after being laid off for months and surgeries it was the last thing that I wanted to do but sometimes when life won't cut you a break you do what you have to do. Now because of some jerk that I was going to marry screwed me over and put me in my current situation your going to judge me. You should only reply to posts if you are actually going to give advise on the question not to just make rude remarks to make yourself feel inferior!

I disagree with you that in NY taxpayers don't pick up the bill for bankruptcies. You are so irated that you didn't see that my suggestion was for you to contact your creditors and negotiate better payments. Hopefully, when you calm down, you will see that you can't file bankruptcy everytime you are in a pickle due to the poor life decisions you have made and events that have taken place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back