Bank won't refund my escrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedoksness

I sold my house at the end of May of 2006 and paid off my mortgage loan. I moved to Cairo, Egypt this past summer and I am currently still living there. I work in an American International school as a high school mathematics teacher. My parents have been receiving my mail and handling any stateside issues for me in Montana. In October, I received a letter from the very large bank that I had my mortgage with stating that they issued an escrow refund check to me but it has not been cashed. They had sent it to the wrong forwarding address and stated that I needed to contact them. I have wasted a lot of time and money calling them from Egypt to get them to reissue my check. Every time I speak to someone they say they will issue a check. This has been going on for 4 months now. The letter they had sent to me had also said that unclaimed funds will automatically be transferred over the the State. My question is how do I aggressively pursue the $500 in escrow they owe me? If I had to take them to court, would I have to file in New Mexico where my former house was or where I currently claim residence? Also, since I live in Cairo, could my parents file a complaint on my behalf in the state of Montana. What are my options? My hands are tied here in Cairo! I will return to the States for 6 weeks this summer. How long before my money is turned over to the State?

Q: My question is how do I aggressively pursue the $500 in escrow they owe me? If I had to take them to court, would I have to file in New Mexico where my former house was?

A: If your effrots are unsuccessful, you need to take whoever it is who has your money to court in the place where the money is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back