Band Logo & Album cover art work compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawaniemi

As the designer of our Band Logo and Painter of the Cover Art of our upcoming National/International CD release I already have the trademark and copyright angle covered. I am also lead guitarist/songwriter in the Band.
My ?: What should I be asking for, contractually, from the Record Company with regard to monetary compensation for my visual contributions for the following:
1. Number of CD units sold
2. All merchandise that will have my Logo and Artwork on it

In other words, so much per unit and/or a certain percentage of every sale? Or other?

As the designer of our Band Logo and Painter of the Cover Art of our upcoming National/International CD release I already have the trademark and copyright angle covered. I am also lead guitarist/songwriter in the Band.
My ?: What should I be asking for, contractually, from the Record Company with regard to monetary compensation for my visual contributions for the following:
1. Number of CD units sold
2. All merchandise that will have my Logo and Artwork on it

In other words, so much per unit and/or a certain percentage of every sale? Or other?

You want to be compensated as a percentage of sale for your artwork? I don't know if this will fly with a record company or with the other members of the band and you should ask them first if this is acceptable to them. I'm not sure what your band's agreement is with your label but unless you have some experience negotiating these types of deals, your best bet is to hire someone to do it properly. Most bands make the big mistake by signing something they think they negotiated well only to find out they are very unhappy and stuck in a deal they didn't realize they got themselves into.

Let me ask this - have you signed a contract with a label? Are you familiar with all of its terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back