Arraignment, Bail, Bonds, Pretrial Bail Paid, Court Appearance Missed, Bench Warrant Issued but Charges Dropped - Bail Refundable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jurisdiction
Louisiana
Was arrested in Louisiana 15 odd years ago. Four counts - 2 misdemeanor, 2 felony, $4,000 bail (not bond) paid. The misdemeanors were dropped, $2,000 of the bail was refunded. The remaining charges sat for ages as the DA decided whether or not to pursue charges, and I was very young and stupid and I left the state and didn't show up for court. Bench warrant was issued.

Some years later bench warrant was cancelled and the charges were dropped. I know that generally speaking if you don't show up for court you surrender your bail money. I'm wondering though, if the charges that lead to your arrest and bail in the first place were dropped, does that negate the entirety of the situation and are you eligible to have the bail returned? Or do you lose it no matter what because of having not shown for court?

if the charges that lead to your arrest and bail in the first place were dropped, does that negate the entirety of the situation and are you eligible to have the bail returned?

NO

Or do you lose it no matter what because of having not shown for court?

You don't lose the bond.

The bond was kept because you chose to abscond.

Read the documents you possess (if you still retain same) related to the bond.

If you no longer have them, I'll sum it up for you.

If you abscond, you forfeit the bond, so does the bonding agent.

Which is why bondsmen come after "skips".

I know the difference between bond and bail. I did not pay bond. I paid bail. The bail amount was $4,000 in total. I did not go through a bondsman. I paid the entirety upfront.

I know the difference between bond and bail. I did not pay bond. I paid bail. The bail amount was $4,000 in total. I did not go through a bondsman. I paid the entirety upfront.

Good for you.

Too bad you weren't smart enough not to become involved in breaking the laws of the State of Louisiana.

I wish you well.

The only law I broke was not appearing in court as summoned. The other charges were dropped, and your presumption of guilt pertaining to said charges is pretty appalling for someone who is ostensibly here to provide legal advice. I'd rather be someone who made a mistake by not appearing in court in his early 20's, 15 years ago, than the type of person who feels confident enough to make moral judgments on strangers. Clearly posting here was a massive mistake.

your presumption of guilt pertaining to said charges is pretty appalling for someone who is ostensibly here to provide legal advice.

Legal Disclaimer: The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only. When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people. The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience. The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states. It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made. All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance. Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege. For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back