Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Bad arrest yields one gram of marijuana

Brucechristian

In 2011 I was attending Vincennes university in Vincennes, Indiana. While attending a party I was arrested for minor consumption and had to spend the night in jail. Upon my release I was given a court date, which I attended. I received a years probation and community service. I transferred to IU to continue my schooling in 2012. Having not completed my community service in time a warrant was issued for my arrest. (Which I'm well aware is my fault and the arrest was justified.) I sat in Monroe county jail for a week before having Vincennes local sheriff call to release me and provided me with another court date. I attended said court date and was issued 6 months more probation with an additional 20 hours of community service. I completed probation and community service in the allotted time and was released from probation in January, of 2013. Upon moving back to Vincennes in the fall of 2014, I was notified by my older brother that a local cop in our home town mentioned to him that there was an active warrant for my arrest out of Knox county, Indiana. (Vincennes) this would have been approximately 1 am. As soon as I got off the phone with my brother I called a local binds man to confirm my warrant, which he did and advised me to stay out of trouble and wear my seatbelt. The following morning I contacted the local probation department, as well as the clerk of courts to try and remedy the situation and figure out why I had a warrant for my arrest. Both places told me there was infact no warrant, but both women I spoke with told me they would send out notification to all appropriate entities to clarify the fact that u had no warrant. I trusted both of these women and went on with my life. So now in February, of 2015 I was pulled over for speeding and the cop informed me that I had a warrant for my arrest. I was baffled. Other than the minor consumption, I've never done anything more than typical traffic violations. So I politely asked the officer what the warrant was for, he told me it was a probation violation from 2012 in Knox county. I explained the situation to the cop, which did no good. (Though he was very nice he was just doing his job) after confirming the warrant I was arrested and sent to Knox county jail. Upon arrest the cop asked for me keys "for the tow truck driver" I politely told the cop that my car was locked except the driver door and I left the keys in my car for the tow truck driver, but I said "you have no permission to enter my vehicle" is what I told him (knowing that handing him my keys physically, was a l wordless way to consent to search my vehicle) through out the entire course of our altercation the cop never once mentioned any suspicions of me committing more than just a traffic violation. He never mentioned a smell (bc there wasn't one) never reported any suspicious activity. Nothing like that. We had a good conversation and I went to jail willingly despite knowing this was a false warrant that wasn't recalled. When I arrived to jail I was harassed by both the inmates and the guards threatened with physical abuse, so I kept to myself. At 8 in the am I contacted my mother and informed her of the false arrest and asked if she sort this thing out for me. One hour later I called back and she told me that all entities have no record of a warrant for myself so I asked her if she could get me out and told her I'd call her in another hour if I wasn't released. Another hour goes by and I call back and my mom tells me that the jail is saying that I was originally arrested for drug charges! Which is certainly news to me. That's not why I was arrested originally, so I had no idea that I was now being held for bail on possession of marijuana charges. Not one person informed me. Apparently the cop went back to my vehicle when it was being towed and searched and trashed the inside of my car. Where he found my grinder with maybe a gram inside. That I had hidden in a chicken nugget container in a Wendy's bag, In my center console. (He had to look pretty hard to find it.) I was then set bail for 400$ and had to recover my car from the tow agency for 85$ And no one has yet to admit to me that there was a mistake in me being arrested on the bad warrant.

Now I'm being charged with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia and I'm not very happy about it. I feel as if my civil liberties have been abused and the search wasn't warranted nor was I "suspicious". I'm not looking to sue Knox county for their negligence (though I would live to, I'm not vindictive) I do however want to get these charges dropped and my money refunded to me as I am a broke college student. Is there any legal way to get this evidence dismissed or my case dismissed? I appreciate any and all inquiries.

Sorry, you need to hire yourself a lawyer and stop using illegal substances.
I suspect the authorities will tell a different version of these events.
You can't fix this without an attorney, assuming it can be fixed.
An attorney can at least lessen the pain.

Back