Back child support cause property loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TesWolf

I hope this is the right place to post this, it's kinda confusing, but here it goes. My boyfriend has been unemployed off and on for years, he has a mental disability that keeps him from maintaining a job and being self suffiecent. He has contacted child support several times over the years to see if he could get his child support reduced, but they say that he has earned x amount in the past and so can do it again. Anyway he owes a lot in back child support due to this, he is currently trying to get disability so that he can get help for his problems, we are thinking about buying a house and we both want our names on the deed, can child support come and take the house from us? I also have two children that I am trying to support and I can't believe that child support would force me to sell the house and put my kids and me out just because his name happens to be on the house too.

Supposed disability or not he still has to support kids and yes, any property you jointly own is subject to a lien for child support, along with any taxes you 2 file jointly if you ever marry.

Honestly buy the home in your name only. Why would you want to put him on the deed since you know he will be contributing little to the household bills if he doesn't work?

Last edited:
well, we both want the security of knowing that we have a roof over our heads, we both have suffered some bad relationships and thought that this might be the way for both of us to feel secure, knowing the other can't just kick us out. He has no objection to paying his child support, he just wishes that they would take a look at his current situation and figure the child support accordingly. Is there any way we can do this and both be secure in the knowledge that we aren't going to be out on the streets?

I don't know what state you are in but in Indiana, they can put a lien on any personal property. My husband pays child support to Indiana on his child from his first marriage. We moved back to Indiana from Michigan. When we changed our plates to Indiana, they put a lien on it. We are still paying arrears (but they can come after you, if and when you sell the home to pay the arrears.) They will take their part and release the deed.

I hope this helps. You should try to consult an attorney.

Good Luck,
Gearhart7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back