Baby in need

Status
Not open for further replies.

freefie

I'm very happily married with two daughters, ages 5 and 20 months. I have a cousin who is addicted to herroine and has a 4 month old baby. While pregnant, my cousin married the father of the baby and all in the family thought "perhaps this will turn her life around". A few weeks ago, my cousin showed up at my aunt's home with no where to go (as has happened in the past) and the baby's father told my aunt he wanted to divorce my cousin and he thinks the baby should go into foster care. Not long after, my cousin left my aunt's house to attend an AA meeting (patting her baby on the head as she went out the door) and she went straight to a drug binge session after her meeting and ended up in the hospital. My aunt would love to raise the baby if it were a possibilty - she is 65, works full-time and is single. My husband and I have expressed a desire to take this baby in as our own and my aunt is grateful but has no legal rights of course. The baby at this time is back with her mother who is staying in a facility for mothers in her situation. Knowing her, it is serving as nothing more than room and board as she is not welcome back in my aunt's home and the baby is only serving as her ticket to stay in this place. Our dilema is if and how to intervene. What would the first step be? How does one in up-state NY find a good lawyer in Savannah? What would our chances of winning custody be if backed by the father and grandmother? What kind of process are we looking at and how long does it take? How much of this can be done from home (NY)? We don't know the first thing about filing a petition. Any real advise would be so appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back