baby due in october - when can i establish custody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirha

i am 6 months pregnant by a man with whom i had a "casual" relationship for many years. i told him about this situation in march and since then he has only contacted me via the phone or email. until recently he insisted that i have an abortion or place the child for adoption. now he says that he wants the child but wants nothing to do with me. he insists he will do this his way and will not be dealing with me at all.

i have repeatedly told him that i will neither force him to be involved nor deny him involvement, and have asked many times if he would like to discuss living arrangements. he and i live within 1 mile of each other so i didn't see the problem with joint arrangements. now, however, with his current attitude, i am very worried that he intends to try to "exercise his parental rights" somehow and force me out of the picture, or disappear with the child altogether. i have 2 older children, by another man, and they are so excited about their baby brother, something like this would not only devistate me, it would absolutely crush them as well.

i understand and truly believe that it is in the child's best interest to have access to both parents, and would happily abide by some mutually agreed upon schedule that allowed us each ample time with this child. i do not sense the same attitude from the father, however.

at what point can i secure a custody agreement? can i omit his name from the birth certificate altogether if these threats continue? if i do so, what legal ramifications could result? what are my rights?

Omitting him from the birth cert will not do much. All a birth cert does is prove a child was born, it does not prove paternity. Since you are not martried to this man, unless paternity is established, he has no rights. If he is smart, he'll file for vistation and request a paternity test. That way his fatherly rights will be protected.

So until paternity is established, you do not have to let him do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back