Auto claim denied for misrepresentation

Daniel B

Jurisdiction
Florida
My claim is based in Florida with progressive insurance. I am an authorized driver, not the policy holder. The vehicle is owned free and clear by myself. Here is an overview of what happened and where I sit as of 11/2/20.

On 5/26/20 a vehicle of mine was stolen from a location other than the primary residence. It was found about a week later completely stripped. I started the process of more or less being investigated by my insurance provider, which included an initial recorded statement, a virtual examination, witness statements, and phone records. Months go by throughout this process but everything seems to be going fine.

I get a call from my adjuster on 10/23/20 to tell me that my claim was denied due to misrepresentation. I asked him to elaborate on it and he refused. What he did tell me is that it was also denied because I never provided my cell phone tower documents. Now, the investigator sent me a document to sign and have notarized so that they could request my cell phone record, which I provided. About two weeks later they requested another one, which also I provided. There was never any mention of this "cell phone tower document" verbally, by the investigator or the adjuster, nor was the request mailed or emailed to me, like every other request of theirs had been. He also mentioned that he would be mailing me a summary of their decision. I pick that document up hoping to read an explanation of their findings and evidence supporting their decision, instead the letter simply said that I had 30 days to go pick my car up or it would be considered abandoned and sold.

Shortly after receiving the call stating that my coverage had been denied I emailed the investigator and the adjuster's manager requesting any and all findings of inconsistencies and misrepresentation be provided. It's been six days and I have yet to receive a response from either.

Since then the entire policy has been cancelled by progressive, with multiple vehicles still on it.

I was obvious that they wanted play hard ball from the beginning but I feel like they pushed the ethical envelope.

I can provide a detailed timeline if needed.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
My claim is based in Florida with progressive insurance. I am an authorized driver, not the policy holder. The vehicle is owned free and clear by myself. Here is an overview of what happened and where I sit as of 11/2/20.

You own a vehicle that YOU drive, but someone other than YOU has an insurance policy on YOUR vehicle.

That's all I need to know to understand why the insurer would deny your claim.

Any other details you supplied would be icing on the beautiful birthday cake you baked.

Good luck, because I suspect there will be additional fallout relative to your actions.

I'm an authorized driver because I have my dealer's license and all my vehicles but this one were under my commercial policy. I didn't list this vehicle because it would have put me into a new coverage premium bracket, that I didn't want to pay.

Trust me, I won't let this go, I'm simply reaching out for some support before I make any further moves.

I'm an authorized driver because I have my dealer's license and all my vehicles but this one were under my commercial policy. I didn't list this vehicle because it would have put me into a new coverage premium bracket, that I didn't want to pay.
OHHH, in other words, you lied to the insurance company. Their reason for denial becomes clear now.

You own a vehicle that YOU drive, but someone other than YOU has an insurance policy on YOUR vehicle.

Any other details you supplied would be icing on the beautiful birthday cake you baked.

Good luck, because I suspect there will be additional fallout relative to your actions.

I appreciate your humor in this matter. As a comparison, when I was younger, I had a vehicle that was owned by me yet under my father's policy. That vehicle was totaled at one point and they paid out. Could you elaborate?

OHHH, in other words, you lied to the insurance company. Their reason for denial becomes clear now.

When done correctly, this is entirely possible. It's done (correctly) by my company with several vehicles.

The OP tried to cheat the insurance company by not reporting the vehicle to the insurance company and got caught, plain and simple.

There was no intent to cheat anyone. I simply kept a vehicle on a policy because I didn't want to move it to a different one.

You tried to cheat the insurance company out of premium they were rightfully due. Why do you think that's not misrepresentation?

I think your confusing something. The vehicle in claim had been under the progressive policy since I owned it and had never moved policies. It was under a personal name and not a business. My commercial policy has nothing to do with this.

When done correctly, this is entirely possible. It's done (correctly) by my company with several vehicles.

The OP tried to cheat the insurance company by not reporting the vehicle to the insurance company and got caught, plain and simple.

when I was younger, I had a vehicle that was owned by me yet under my father's policy. That vehicle was totaled at one point and they paid out. Could you elaborate?

That's easy. Your father revealed to the insurance company that you were the owner and driver, you were listed on the policy and your father paid the appropriate premium for your risk classification. In other words, the insurance underwriter knew and approved of the situation up front.

Whose policy was the car insured under and when the car was put on that policy what did that person tell Progressive about the car, the driver, and the use?

Also, is the car titled to you personally or to your dealership?

I appreciate your humor in this matter. As a comparison, when I was younger, I had a vehicle that was owned by me yet under my father's policy. That vehicle was totaled at one point and they paid out. Could you elaborate?
You tried to cheat the insurance company out of premium they were rightfully due. Why do you think that's not misrepresentation?

I comprehended what was done from the first time I read the TOP post.

I suspect a savvy insurance adjuster did, too.

I've never been asked for my mobile phone records regarding any claim I've ever filed.

I know what's up and why.

The vehicle in claim had been under the progressive policy since I owned it and had never moved policies. It was under a personal name and not a business.

Again, whose personal name and what did that person tell Progressive about the car, the driver, and the use?

I don't see a question. Do you have one, or are you just asking folks to comment on the situation? If the latter, how do you believe that will be beneficial to you?

Back