Auto accident while on lunch brake

Miller M2

Hi everyone. Well today I got a phone call from my daughter that lives in a different state (Arizona)My daughter Today in the morning while going to her lunch brake she drove her car to get lunch. She end up in a car accident in her new 2022 vehicle she just bought… (making payments) during our conversation I noticed her very very worried about the whole thing, and she still confused and can't remember how it happened! The car is totally recked, thankfully she suffered minor bruces, etc. after been checked by the paramedics, the other party involved the driver end up going to the hospital and the other parties vehicle the vehicle had not even that much damage. I suggested her to get in touch with an attorney ASAP, BUT almost everyone is getting ready for thanksgiving now. Now is this something the company she works for should be involved??

Thanks in advance.
Mike M

Hi everyone. Well today I got a phone call from my daughter that lives in a different state (Arizona)My daughter Today in the morning while going to her lunch brake she drove her car to get lunch. She end up in a car accident in her new 2022 vehicle she just bought… (making payments) during our conversation I noticed her very very worried about the whole thing, and she still confused and can't remember how it happened! The car is totally recked, thankfully she suffered minor bruces, etc. after been checked by the paramedics, the other party involved the driver end up going to the hospital and the other parties vehicle the vehicle had not even that much damage. I suggested her to get in touch with an attorney ASAP, BUT almost everyone is getting ready for thanksgiving now. Now is this something the company she works for should be involved??

Thanks in advance.
Mike M
What do you mean by "involved"? Involved in what way?

Now is this something the company she works for should be involved??

Her employer isn't involved in the mash up.

She need not report her incident to anyone other than the police and/or insurance carrier.

I suggest you remind your daughter to report the incident to her insurance carrier.

She must do that before the end of business tomorrow.

Her insurance carrier will instruct as to her next steps.

=================================

If anyone is injured, call 911.

Arizona law requires a police officer, not the drivers involved, to report an accident any time the crash results in injury or death, and/or vehicle damage or damage to any other property in an apparent amount of at least $1,000.

=================================

Accident Reporting Procedure | ADOT

Now is this something the company she works for should be involved??

If you are asking if her employer has any responsibility for anything, the answer is almost certainly not.

I suggested her to get in touch with an attorney ASAP,

A bit premature I would think.

If she caused the accident her insurance company will handle any liability claim against her.

If the other driver caused the accident she can file a claim for her injuries with his/her insurance company. I'd be happy to provide helpful comments about that if she's willing to sign on here and provide her own information.

Either way, for the car damage I suggest she use her collision coverage. Faster and less hassle.

Yes, she'll have a deductible. Yes, her rates might go up. She's got more to be concerned with than that.

Unless she was driving for business, her employer has no legal obligation to take any action. As you say she was on her lunch break, that's unlikely to be the case.

It would be nice of them to help her out but it's not something they have any liability to do.

However, she might investigate whether her employer offers an Employee Assistance Program. Not all employers do, but if hers does, an EAP will have access to low- or no-pay legal services.

I don't know that she will need to hire a lawyer herself. Her auto insurance provider should provide for any defense she must mount and/or go after the other driver.

If she's not going to make it back to work or needs extra timeoff, i'd let her manager know of the need. But otherwise agree with the others that I don't see any employer liability.

Back