Auto Accident and Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsaunsnp

I am not sure, I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I was involved in a car accident on May 9th. I was traveling on a 4 lane divided highway at approx. 65 mph westbound. A large Ford f700 farm truck with a large tank on the back was traveling northbound and proceeded to cross the highway without stopping at the stop sign. The driver admitted fault and was ticketed by police. I was very fortunate in the accident and recieved some injuries but they could have been much worse. I suffered a right torn rotater cuff injury that required surgery and am going through physical therapy now. My vehicle is valued at approx 14,000 and recieved 7,000+ in damages.

My medical bills so far have been $11,409. I have been out of work since the accident and am using sick leave. I am VERY motivated to get back to work. I am a firefighter and currently on the promotions list, it is hurting my chances to not be at work proving myself while others that are on the list are doing so.

My main question is what do I ask the insurance company to settle for? My doctor says I should be back to work in 4 weeks.

I was told 3 times the medical bills is what i should ask for, is this correct? Is there some type of formula?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

No, there is no standard formula when it comes to what you can get and how you should settle. Find yourself a good injury attorney that will look after your best interests and ensure that you have medical care if anything else happens due to an accident unhealed injury in the future.

You need to be aware that once you settle any further claims in the future are barred. If your medical insurance is paying, then they will want to be reimbursed. Since you have actual injuries, the insurance company will probably be reasonable in offering you a settlement. I would document everything in a log. Keep track of your medicine, etc and the amount of pain you are enduring, the normal activities you cannot perform, the time and expense of medical visits. You should be reimbursed for your lost time regardless of the fact you are using your sick leave. Also check your state law regarding dimunition of value on your vehicle and be careful what you sign. If the adjuster sees you are on top of everything he will probably make you a better offer. They hate logs.

An attorney will usually want between 30 and 40% and it will usually delay payment for one or two years. I would get an offer from the company and then decide. Possibly you could negotiate with the attorney for his fee to only come out of anything over the settlement agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back