Audi dealership service center has had my car 3 months. Any recourse?

ChrisF79

Jurisdiction
Florida
I was driving my '19 Audi and it simply died. It was under warranty so I had it towed to the dealer's service department. They have had it now for 12 weeks and whenever I ask for an update they tell me that they simply can't get the part (an alternator). I figure enough is enough so I realized that I can find the alternator myself from a number of sources. In fact, I could have one here in a few days. I asked if they could just get the part from any of the places I found that has it and was told that they have to get it from their supplier. Since their internal policy for sourcing products isn't working, could I get the part and have it installed myself and then sue them in small claims court for the costs associated with doing so?

Also, I've now paid 3 months of car payments to Audi Financial. I paid the towing to get it there. I paid 3 months of insurance. All without having possession of the car.

At what point do we say they've had the opportunity to fix it and won't? This feels incredibly unreasonable.

If I can sue them and potentially win, do I send them a certified letter letting them know they have X amount of time to fix it or I will sue?

could I get the part and have it installed myself and then sue them in small claims court for the costs associated with doing so?

Yes. Whether you'll win depends in large part of the terms of the warranty. I suggest you review the full warranty document carefully before doing anything.

At what point do we say they've had the opportunity to fix it and won't?

I'm not really sure what this question means. You can say this at any time.

This feels incredibly unreasonable.

I agree. If it were my car, I wouldn't have let the situation persist more than a couple weeks.

If I can sue them and potentially win, do I send them a certified letter letting them know they have X amount of time to fix it or I will sue?

I don't really see the point in sending the letter by certified mail.

Keep in mind that the dealer likely isn't the obligor under the warranty.

Yes. Whether you'll win depends in large part of the terms of the warranty. I suggest you review the full warranty document carefully before doing anything.

I'm not really sure what this question means. You can say this at any time.

I agree. If it were my car, I wouldn't have let the situation persist more than a couple weeks.

I don't really see the point in sending the letter by certified mail.

Keep in mind that the dealer likely isn't the obligor under the warranty.

Great points. You said you wouldn't let it persist more than a couple of weeks but what would you have done differently? I know it's tough to read tone on the Internet but that's a very genuine question. I'm not sure what measures I could have taken.

I haven't but wouldn't that be their responsibility?

Apparently, they don't think so or they would have done it already. I had a similar situation once where they told me it would take a week to get the part. I called other local dealers and one down the road had it. I insisted they have it sent over. They gave me the usual song and dance that you are getting but I raised a stink with management, they got the part sent right over and I got the car back the same day.

Self-preservation is nobody's business but your own.

I haven't but wouldn't that be their responsibility?

Of course, but things aren't happening as they should.

You said you wouldn't let it persist more than a couple of weeks but what would you have done differently? I know it's tough to read tone on the Internet but that's a very genuine question. I'm not sure what measures I could have taken.

I would have done what you're doing now, but much sooner. That's all.

Back