Attorneys fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmckay

If an individual loses a lawsuit against a corporation in small claims court and the corporation is represented by a lawyer, under what circumstances, if any, can the corporation ask for and be awarded attorneys' fees?

Has to be included in the original claim!

Basically, the plaintiff here (the corporation) can collect attorney's fees only if the fee was included in its original Statement of Claim (the complaint) at the time of the filing of the small claims action with the total amount of the claim not exceeding $3000, and, that the person who made the representation on behalf of the corporation was a licensed attorney in good standing.

fredrikklaw

If an individual loses a lawsuit against a corporation in small claims court and the corporation is represented by a lawyer, under what circumstances, if any, can the corporation ask for and be awarded attorneys' fees?

If the lawsuit is based on a debt owed from a credit card, loan contract, or rental agreement; you're stuck with attorney's fees.

The fees derive from the contract you once signed.

A clarification needed

I appreciate your replies, but I didn't phrase my question clearly. Let's say I sue a corporation for either defrauding me or negligently harming me and they are represented by an attorney. If I lose my case, can the corporation then ask the judge to award them attorneys fees since they won and I lost. Thank you.

gmckay said:
I appreciate your replies, but I didn't phrase my question clearly. Let's say I sue a corporation for either defrauding me or negligently harming me and they are represented by an attorney. If I lose my case, can the corporation then ask the judge to award them attorneys fees since they won and I lost. Thank you.

Can they ask? Sure.

Will the request be granted? Anything is possible, but probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back