Attorney fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

moderne

I hired an attorney a year ago for a custody/ visitation matter. His retainer was $1000.00. In November a custody order was issued and the matter was resolved. Today I received a bill from the attorney stating I still owe him $544.00 for when he represented me. The bill comes 7 months after I ended all contacts with him. I have never been notified during this time he needs more money or that I should be expected to pay him more. Is this a regular practice? Can I fight it? Thank you very much!

SG

It might not be regular practice, but it's not unheard of. I'd ask to see an itemized account, and see why it is that amount. You can certainly fight it if you disagree with it.

I hired an attorney a year ago for a custody/ visitation matter. His retainer was $1000.00. In November a custody order was issued and the matter was resolved. Today I received a bill from the attorney stating I still owe him $544.00 for when he represented me. The bill comes 7 months after I ended all contacts with him. I have never been notified during this time he needs more money or that I should be expected to pay him more. Is this a regular practice? Can I fight it? Thank you very much!

SG

So the attorney had the retainer for 5 months in which he probably made phone calls, sent letters and attended court on your behalf. It doesn't seem excessive to get a matter such as custody/visitation resolved. Pay the bill and enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back