At-will employment, final check 15 hours short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENegus

I was recently let go from my job as it was an at-will employment situation. I was paid bi monthly, on the 15th and the last of every month. My last week was a total of three full days and the date of me being let go was only 30 minutes of work. We didn't punch a time clock, nor did anyone keep track of our hours but ourselves. I worked full days, 8 hours, on the 16th, 17th, and 18th of June, and 30 minutes on the 19th, as I stated. I was paid for 9.5 hours and told when I tried to rectify my pay that I wouldn't be getting it. The reason given is that, supposedly, the work that I had done had been deleted from the website I was working on. I didn't do this, and when I came home from being told this, I checked the website myself. The company deleted the profile that I was using to put advertisements on their website with, under my personal e-mail address, but all of the ads were still there. What are my legal rights here? Can I even get my 15 hours that I was shorted?

Don't you have any records or anything that can show them you were working on their website? I would get the forensic records of your computer to show them that you spent the hours you say you did on your posting. If no response from the company, then try to get the pay through small claims court. Good Luck!

Unfortunately I don't have any records, as I was using a company computer to do the work. I was at home for a small portion of work that week, but not enough to constitute the 15 hours that wasn't given to me.

Try to recover your wages through small claims court then. Make sure you have evidence to build up your case - project name, dates, emails, etc...

As an alternative, you can file a complaint with the MI state DOL. Doing it that way, you don't have to prove what hours you worked; the employer has to prove that you didn't work the hours you say you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back