Asked for my final paycheck - threatened to be charged with a felony

cagela10

I recently quick working at a bar. About 2 weeks prior to having quit the CEO went out of town and upon return accused 7 people with safe access of stealing. The day after he accused us, he texted me and said the opening employee had come in and found the safe open. After I quit he refused to pay me. I sent him an email stating I would be contacting the dept of labor and filing a wage claim if he did not pay me. To this he replied that "if I file a claim he will charge me with felony theft because he has evidence that I left the safe open (a picture from that morning), and I was on the clock. I dismissed this since he had accused us of stealing prior to accusing me of leaving the safe open. I never responded. Now he has left me a message that " he has launched a full on investigation into my background and he knows I stole the money, I need to contact him and meet him at a location other than the business and return the stolen money. Otherwise he will have me arrested for felony theft, time card fraud, and lying on an application. I have until may 6th". I did not steal any money. I am scared to file my claim, and I am scared of being arrested. He said he has had 5 court cases and won them all. He has a lot more money and resources than me, and I have no idea what to do. I have not returned contact with him as I think that would be a bad idea.

Nothing you can do, except file your wage claim or not.
It's never a good idea to engage in the BATTLE OF TEXTS.
Why?
Neither texter believes the other, so why bother?
At this point, if you're arrested, say nothing, admit to nothing, except name, address, date of birth, cooperate with the booking process, and request a lawyer. Then remain silent about the charges.

Whatever you do, do not meet this person, and cease communication. My guess is he's bluffing about having proof and about having you arrested. Filing the wage claim is a separate issue, but only you can really decide if you want to call his bluff and make the claim and see what happens. One reason I think he's bluffing is that nobody is going to arrest you for time card fraud and/or lying on an application. He's just trying to scare you.

I have conducted many internal investigations and interviews and I can tell you what they seek is confession! They either have a case or they don't. If they have one they will likely file with or without your interview but they want that confession to drive the case home. Regardless of what they tell you, you do not have to talk to them. If they make any promise get it in writing! Even then I would not cooperate if I were you.

I don't think he is bluffing.... If it was me and I knew I didn't steal the money. Simple.. I would file against him for my wages. When 7-8 people have access to the safe who knows who TOOK the money. I would say as well.... All those people also have access to the building. Maybe one of them waited until you left the building that night. Then used their key to enter and used their access to the safe to make it look like you did it.

I don't think he is bluffing.... If it was me and I knew I didn't steal the money. Simple.. I would file against him for my wages. When 7-8 people have access to the safe who knows who TOOK the money. I would say as well.... All those people also have access to the building. Maybe one of them waited until you left the building that night. Then used their key to enter and used their access to the safe to make it look like you did it.

Heck, maybe the big, bad, boss man did it.

Back