Ask to leave store for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

itcan

Hi I hope this is the right place if not plase forgive my post.

I went into a store in a mall. I was harassed for about 10 to 15 minutes from a guy that kept following me and asking can he help me. I told him no I was just looking many times.

Some of the isles were not very big he would either bump into me or I would have to move for him out the isle to let him by.
Then he asked me to leave the store. I ask him why he said this was private property and I was trespassing.
Security guards came I asked again why I was asked to leave the man said I was belligerent.
I am a woman of color almost 50 years old. I did not do any thing to warrant such harassment.

My cousins said she saw me through the windows surrounded by security guards and people looking on at us. She rushes in asking what was going on I told her. She even asked the man who he was. He said to her I was harassing him. She asked to speak to a manger no one said a word.

This man made this a hostile shopping experience for me, he harassed me, threatens me, traumatizes me, and humiliated for no reason at all.

I email Mall of America and Petters. I talked to the regional manger he knew who he was and said he would talk to him. (M O A email me Apologizing and offer me a gift card)
Is this discrimination? Can I take any legal action for this harassment?

Traumatize shopper
Virginia

IN GENERAL, any store can refuse service to any customer.

What EVIDENCE do you have that your gender, age or color were the basis for his treatment of you?

Most discrimination is perfectly legal. Unless you can prove that the sole reason they acted against you in some way was for your perceived membership in a protected group, then your only recourse is a stern letter of complaint and a pledge to shop elsewhere in the future. If they based their suspicion on your actions or perceived actions, then you likely have no case.

You can, however, consult an attorney and see if there is a case. But, without damages, it's unlikely this will go anywhere.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back