Are you liable if illegal stuff may be happening on a community forum?

jb00

Hello everyone,

I am looking for legal advice regarding a forum website I own. It is an online community forum just like this one, but it is sort of a buy/sell/exchange place. Mostly people buy, sell and exchange e-currencies. A few of these e-currencies.

There are people (vendors) who join the forum and offer their services of buying and selling these e-currencies. For example, if someone wants to buy certain coins. They would sell the coins and take some other currency (bank transfer etc.) as payment. They would also buy these currencies and then resell them at a profit. So this is the basic gist of what goes on in my forum.

Now here is the problem. There are some people there who are buying and selling illegal or stolen or hacked funds. For example, stolen or hacked funds from PayPal. It is very difficult for me to pin point who is dealing with these hacked and stolen funds and who is dealing with legitimate funds. When I do find someone dealing with such hacked or stolen currencies, I ban them from the forum. But it is almost impossible to find out which ones are those people. You can take the example of eBay. Many people buy and sell stuff there. Some people are selling legitimate stuff. Some people must also be selling stolen stuff.

How do I earn? These vendors (buyers and sellers of currencies) buy ad spaces from me on the forum to promote their services.

Now, my question is, can I get into legal trouble with this? What can I do to protect myself and my forum from trouble with authorities?
P.S. I am not located in the US. The members (these buyers and sellers) I have on the forum are all international from a lot of countries of the world, a few are from US as well.

DO NOT try to be sneaky and SPAM our site.
We don't allow advertising or spamming.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is impossible for us to tell you what the laws may be in all the countries in which you operate. You really need to consult a lawyer who specializes in international e-commerce.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for legal advice regarding a forum website I own. It is an online community forum just like this one, but it is sort of a buy/sell/exchange place. Mostly people buy, sell and exchange e-currencies. A few of these e-currencies.

There are people (vendors) who join the forum and offer their services of buying and selling these e-currencies. For example, if someone wants to buy certain coins. They would sell the coins and take some other currency (bank transfer etc.) as payment. They would also buy these currencies and then resell them at a profit. So this is the basic gist of what goes on in my forum.

Now here is the problem. There are some people there who are buying and selling illegal or stolen or hacked funds. For example, stolen or hacked funds from PayPal. It is very difficult for me to pin point who is dealing with these hacked and stolen funds and who is dealing with legitimate funds. When I do find someone dealing with such hacked or stolen currencies, I ban them from the forum. But it is almost impossible to find out which ones are those people. You can take the example of eBay. Many people buy and sell stuff there. Some people are selling legitimate stuff. Some people must also be selling stolen stuff.

How do I earn? These vendors (buyers and sellers of currencies) buy ad spaces from me on the forum to promote their services.

Now, my question is, can I get into legal trouble with this? What can I do to protect myself and my forum from trouble with authorities?
P.S. I am not located in the US. The members (these buyers and sellers) I have on the forum are all international from a lot of countries of the world, a few are from US as well.

DO NOT try to be sneaky and SPAM our site.
We don't allow advertising or spamming.

Only YOU can prevent YOU from being SCAMMED!

It is impossible for us to tell you what the laws may be in all the countries in which you operate. You really need to consult a lawyer who specializes in international e-commerce.

I understand that. You can tell me about the laws you know. If you know about laws of only US, please go ahead and tell me from US laws perspective. I'd appreciate that. Since I have users and visitors from US, I think your advice from a US laws perspective would be very beneficial for me too.

@army judge
I am confused about your posts. I do not know what advertising you are talking about. I did not mention a link to my site or a link to anything or a name of any product. I'm not sure how my post could be considered as spamming or advertising.

Regarding your last post "Only YOU can prevent YOU from being SCAMMED!", I'm not sure what you mean by that or how that is relevant to what I asked in my post. I'm confused here.

@army judge
I am confused about your posts. I do not know what advertising you are talking about. I did not mention a link to my site or a link to anything or a name of any product. I'm not sure how my post could be considered as spamming or advertising.

Ypu posted company names to allegedly help you explain your point.
There is no need to name certain services, or types on online payments.
The PROPER name is not allowed, whether you disagree or not.
You have been warned, so please don't use PROPER names, simply say an online type of currency, a barter site, etc...

Regarding your last post "Only YOU can prevent YOU from being SCAMMED!", I'm not sure what you mean by that or how that is relevant to what I asked in my post. I'm confused here.

Meaning, if you doubt the buyer or seller, have any uneasy feelings about a deal, don't do the deal.
We all know when something isn't right, so just don't do any deal when you feel unsure.
That way, YOU prevent YOU from being SCAMMED.
Just say, thanks, but no thanks, I'll pass.

Back