Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft are all police like this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

petessake

I live in texas. I had my truck stolen from my driveway 3 nights ago. I witnessed the theft and try to stop it, but was assaulted. The police came after i dialed 911 and started asking me questions. I was explaining what happened when they startd saying that "it just don't sound right". I was then told that they recovered my truck and that it was wrecked about a mile up the road. Then they stated that they found a "glob" of blood in my truck and that if they find out it is mine that I'm in big trouble. I had been at home for a long time that evening with my wife and had been drinking some beer. They were definately trying to get me to say that i was driving under the influence. I was not. Then they told me that if they find out that i was driving that i would be in big trouble for "false report" and that it was far worse than dui. is this normal for police to do this??? should I file a complaint???

You can file a complaint, sure. But, since it appears they took the report, and their actions were designed to try and elicit an incriminating admission from you (something permissible), I doubt anything will come of it.

But, people do this all the time ... they get drunk, they wreck their vehicle,they go home and then they try to report the vehicle stolen.

What was the time delay between the assault and your report? Did they find the wrecked and abandoned truck before you called? That would be very, very odd ...

- Carl

in fact, there could'nt have been more than a couple of minutes that passed between the theft and my call. I got hit on my head several times and while running after my truck I did blackout, but it did'nt feel like a very long time.

Last edited:
Well, I understand why they were suspicious. A robbery as you describe is ... very rare. An attempt to dodge a DUI charge as described is far more common.

Rest assured, they will probably not be able to prove your claims one way or the other. So, all that will be left will be to convince your insurance company that this happened as you say.

- Carl

Is it really that common for people to claim this???? I totally got my ass beat with a stick trying to stop those jerks. I felt like the officers did'nt give a crap about me....."to protect and to serve".........not "to accuse and and scare"...... should I go get an attorney?

Is it really that common for people to claim this????
Far more common than a carjacking from the driveway. In fact, I can recall only one such driveway carjacking, and that was a civil case gone bad. I can recall nearly a dozen wrecked cars reported as stolen by inebriated owners, about half of which we can show were false claims even if we did not have enough to convince a jury beyond reasonable doubt. Thus, only a couple have actually resulted in a prosecution for what we know happened.

I totally got my ass beat with a stick trying to stop those jerks. I felt like the officers did'nt give a crap about me....."to protect and to serve".........not "to accuse and and scare"...... should I go get an attorney?
What will an attorney do for you? Do you have a suspect in the theft that you want to sue?

The police do not have a legal obligation to believe you or even treat you nicely. If you have a complaint about their demeanor or the way they treated you, you have the right to make a personnel complaint to their agency or supervisor.

You have your car back and that would seem to be about the best you can hope for in this situation ... unless, of course, they manage to identify a suspect ... perhaps by matching the blood found in the truck?

- Carl

Only if they arrest you.

- Carl

Should I hire an attorney in case they try to arrest me for false report? I refuse to get into trouble for something I did'nt do.

You won't need an attorney unless they charge you,and I think the chance of that is slim.

- Carl

I guess I am just blowing this out of purportion......I have never been in trouble with the law, but I have had friends in small towns, like the one I live in, where the police seem to try make something out of nothing. It's like they have nothing better to do. I am a fireman and have great respect for the law and for law enforcement. I just don't like the way they tried to scare me and decieve me.

Bluster can sometimes knock someone off their game and help catch them up in a lie if the person is lying. And, like I said, it is far more common to see a phony report than it is to have a report carjack from the driveway. That makes it suspicious - especially if your injuries are consistent with the crash or your story was suspect in some way.

- Carl

Unless they find something that gives them probable cause to believe otherwise, you should have nothing to worry about.

- Carl

Well, just as I thought.....This officer called my work and told my boss that I needed to be tested for drugs and alcohol. what a jerk

Now THAT could be an issue... he has no legitimate reason to be contacting your employer that way. If I were you, assuming that is in fact the nature of the conversation with your employer, I would be making a complaint in person to the police chief or sheriff, whichever is appropriate here.

Well guess what, Now this cop has called me and asked for a "voluntary DNA sample".

I am definately hiring an attorney!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back