annulment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thehunter

My step-father of 21 years left my mom and said he was getting an annulment because he doesn't want her to get anything of his. His reasoning behind the annulment is that she was still married to someone else when THEY got married in another state. He KNEW about it because he took her to yet a DIFFERENT state to get the first marriage annulled 3 weeks after they got married. I say he is just as guilty as she is and that things should be split. Is there a statute of limitations in which annulments in NC can be filed?

In most states, a marriage is void (is not valid) if one of the parties is still married to someone else and subsequent divorce does not validate the marriage. However, sometimes the rules differ with regard to benefits and I'm not sure how and if that applies.

If you are in a state where there is community property, he will likely have a problem in any instance. There are other factors here which will make it likely that he will not be able to simply disown her (especially if he knew about the issue) although how much she might get is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back