American / Canadian divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilderpa

My son (American) married a Canadian 2 years ago. This past January she told him she wanted to spend some time in Canada with her family to sort out her feelings. He let her take his car. She left while he was away and took a lot of their joint belongings. Soon after she left, she told him she wasn't coming back. He told her she had to return the car or make the loan and insurance payments. She hasn't done either. The car and the loan are in his name. She also left him with a large amount of debt including a $4000 loan (in his name) for her cosmetic dental work. My son wants to get an atty to file for divorce on the grounds of abandonment. I agree that he needs a divorce, but I'm not sure spending a lot of money on a lawyer for a contested divorce is going to be much help. Even if the settlement says she has to return the car and pay him for some or all of their debts, she won't, and I don't think there is any way to go after her legally since she is in Canada. Can anyone tell us - can American divorce settlements be enforced/pursued in Canada? His wife also skipped out on a lot of other American debts in HER name (cell phone bill, charge card bill, speeding ticket). Out of curiosity, can those creditors do anything about getting their money from her in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back