Am I Still Married??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormy4862

At the age of 17 my sister introduced me to this man that was 5 years older than me. Within 6 months of knowing him he convinced me into moving in with him in Kansas City, MO. Stupid me a teenager I did.
I was not allowed to get a job, he wanted me to stay home and take care of the house and he did not want me to go back to school. By the age 18 I had my first child with him. I was never allowed to get a job. We lived in places that were not fit for a dog.
By the time my first child was 3 years old her father was on drugs. I convinced him to let me get a job at Taco Bell so that we could have water, lights and heat. Well he let me. When my first paycheck came in he told me that if I gave it to him that he would double it. Well stupid me I gave it to him and never seen it again.
The next paycheck I took and drove to my Mothers 3 hours away. I lived with her for about 9 months until my child's father found us he convinced me to come back to him and that he was no longer on drugs and he would never do them again. Well stupid me once again I did. He stayed of the drugs for a few years.
We got married 8-24-92. I had my second child 3-22-93. We moved into a new house 06-1993. He had a good job he was making all the bills life was good. until the drugs came back into his life. I went through a lot in the last 3 years I stayed with him hoping he would get off the drugs. It got really bad at the end of 1998 he was mentally and fiscally abusive to me he would not let me get a job he made it so I could not use the phone to call anyone I was pretty much a prisoner in my own home.
He finally assaulted me to where he left marks on me. I guess he got worried the next day and told me he was taking the kids to get something to eat. When he left I got the phone to work and called my sister she called her lawyer and he told her to have me go get an order of protection on him. I called the police and told them what was going on. Well when he came home he waved these papers in my face telling me that he got an order of protection on me and that he can have me arrested anytime he wanted if I didn't do what he told me and that I could not leave and take the kids with me. I was very upset did not know what to do. So I took the keys of the car and went to the court house. I asked them if I could file for a protection order, they gave the paper work to do so, as I was filling out the paper work a police officer came up to me a served me with the order of protection my kids father took out against me. Too make a very long story shorter finely got my children back.
My mother came down from Oregon. I told the kids father that the kids and I were going to stay with my Mother in Oregon until he got his life back in order. Well 04-1999 we left to go to Oregon with my mother. The father never got off the drugs too this day he is still on them. At one point not to long after we got to Oregon he told me that he would kill me if he ever found me. at that time I cut off all communication with him. The kids would call him a few times every year but he would just bad mouth me every time they called so after a few phone calls like that they didn't really want to call him after that.
My question is. It has been since 1999 since I have had anything to do with this man. I want to know if I am legally still married to this man? If I am not how can I get paper work saying that I am not married to this man?

Thank you for you time in crazy long question,
Stormy4862

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back