Am I obliged to pay for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eckoin

I wanted to volunteer abroad (teach English) so I found an organization in Argentina who found a placement for me. I paid them a $30 registration fee, and $1000 was due at the beginning of the placement, which included the "program placement," accommodation for one month, and the airport pick-up. I was ill when I was supposed to fly (doctor can verify) and I could not come. On the website FAQ it says that if I cancel within 20 days of the start of the program, I will need to pay 50% of the cost. I did not sign a contract, and I have a legitimate excuse. Am I still obliged to pay them? I was not not be paid, this was a volunteer placement.

Often times online just by cliking on I Agree, then you are entering into a contract with the other party. Whether or not you can use the doctors note as a way out depends on the contract.

However, if this company is in Argentina, then they might have a hard time suing you in the US, however if you do tell them to pound sand, YOU may end up having troubles if you do try to enter Argentina in the future, depending on what type of judgment they could get against you there.

Your best bet is to contact them and see if they can sign you up for a later program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back