Am I married or not? and if not, what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agapewelns

My name is Alexa. I got married in Nov. of 2006. In May of this year (09) I learned that my husband had lied about his divorce and had not waited the full 6 months to re-marry after his divorce. He said he had been divorced a full YEAR. I found out from the courts website that he filed AFTER we met. So, we were married only one and a half months after his divorce. He lied on the marriage petition as well.

I moved to Wisconsin AFTER the marriage, after selling my house, etc....

I have asked several attorneys who aren't sure how to proceed. Do I get an annulment based on fraud? Do I get a divorce? Were we legally married if he didn't wait the full 6 months? If not, what do I file to make him responsible for paying me back all that I spent getting me here, etc......?????? If he is in agreement so that he doesn't go to jail for fraud, can we do this Pro Se. I don't want him in jail, I just want him to re-pay what he owes me and the correct paperwork filed.

Thank you

Last edited:
Apparently you aren't happy about the marriage either? Because if you were happy you could just go on. Technically I do not think your marriage is valid because he lied on the application for the marriage certificate. If the marriage certificate was the result of fraud or mistake the marriage should be void or voidable. I would go to the place where you received your marriage license, explain this to them and see what they say. Check back with us when you get an answer from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back