Am I Legally Married

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasguy

I lived with my ex for about 7 yrs as a married couple even though we never legally got married. Well about 1 yr ago I found out she was having an affair with a guy she worked with. She left me and moved in with the guy and promptly got pregnant. Well the relationship didn't last very long and she decided she made a mistake and wanted me back. I said no so she moved in with her mother out of state. Well I recently have met a woman who I am in love with and considering marriage but I need to know if I am legally married to my ex?
Thank You

texasguy said:
I lived with my ex for about 7 yrs as a married couple even though we never legally got married. Well about 1 yr ago I found out she was having an affair with a guy she worked with. She left me and moved in with the guy and promptly got pregnant. Well the relationship didn't last very long and she decided she made a mistake and wanted me back. I said no so she moved in with her mother out of state. Well I recently have met a woman who I am in love with and considering marriage but I need to know if I am legally married to my ex?
Thank You

Did you file a common law marriage document at ANY courthouse?

If you lived together, but never filed that document, Texas doesn't consider your arrangement as a legal marriage.

You, simply lived together.

You weren't married, even though you thought of yourselves as married.

If you filed that document, you are married.

Just one addition to above....

Your ex (or you) can file to have the relationship declared a legal marriage for up to 2 years after the relationship ends.

We never filed any kind of marriage document but she was listed as my domestic partner on my insurance policy. However after she moved out I removed her from my insurance policy.

texasguy said:
We never filed any kind of marriage document but she was listed as my domestic partner on my insurance policy. However after she moved out I removed her from my insurance policy.

You are free to legally get hitched.

You are not married, at least in the eyes of the state of TX!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back