am I legally able to transfer my self to a different school

shawna15

I am 18 and I go to Amity high school my school says I have to get permission from my mother and my mother will not sing them.

I am 18 and I go to Amity high school my school says I have to get permission from my mother and my mother will not sing them.

At age 18, you are considered an adult.
Your mother or father can't decide where you go to school, or even if you attend school.
You can simply disenroll yourself from School ABC and try to enroll into School XYZ.
The school might have a residency requirement, and that might stop your enrollment if you can't provide and prove a proper address.
But, I hear tell SOME kids simply say they're HOMELESS, and the school has to allow HOMELESS kids to enroll.
Remember, you're 18, and if you make trouble for mother, she can simply kick you out, or evict you.
If I were you, I'd play it Mom's way until I was ready to leave her home.

This late in the year, such a transfer may make graduation impossible. There may also be laws in your state that limit your ability to change schools without parent permission (even at 18). Are you enrolled in a special education program or some other special program outside the mainstream?

Now, if you want to leave home, you probably can. Just walk out the door with whatever they will allow you to take with you. You can stop going to school and take the GED if they will let you, or enroll in an alternative program.

At 18 are you possibly close to graduation? Why don't you stay & graduate?

Back