Am I in violation of FERPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsetteach

I am currenrtly on paid administrative leave for a supposed FERPA violation. I have read through FERPA, as well as my school board's policy, but I'm not quite sure if what I did is a FERPA violation.

In July, I posted on Facebook the names of students who passed my AP test. I also noted that one student passed the test, but not the class. He was already in summer school to retake that class. My page is private, only friends can see the posts. My full name, where I work and my picture are not on the profile. Trying to fight termination.

I am currenrtly on paid administrative leave for a supposed FERPA violation. I have read through FERPA, as well as my school board's policy, but I'm not quite sure if what I did is a FERPA violation.

In July, I posted on Facebook the names of students who passed my AP test. I also noted that one student passed the test, but not the class. He was already in summer school to retake that class. My page is private, only friends can see the posts. My full name, where I work and my picture are not on the profile. Trying to fight termination.

Yes, you did violate FERPA. It doesn't matter if your name, picture, or any other info is on the profile. You identified students by name, and published a part of their educational record for others to see. The only way this could be excused is if every one of your FB friends who had access to your page was also a teacher of the students in question, and I'm not even sure that would be enough. Sorry.

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html
Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record.

Why on EARTH would you do such a thing?:confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back