Am I divorced???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilgal

Hi there, I married a Lebanese guy in 1987 in Ireland. We then moved over to Lebanon for about 4 years. I managed to get out during the war, but I didn't go back. I'm sure he has divorced me by now, particularly because in Lebanon you can buy any papers you need for anything. I haven't had any contact with him or his family since about 1993. How do I go about finding out if I am divorced.

I have a son with another partner, and I know that my ex-husband would have rights to him and any property I have here in Ireland, and he will try to get his hands on anything (he doesn't know about my son) he can if I approach him direct. When I left Beirut I lost everything - I had one shirt and a toothbrush. I left our house and everything I owned behind. Anything that I have now I have built up since I returned and I don't want him to have access to any of it.

As I say, I'm positive he's divorced me by now. He did get in contact at one stage to ask me to go to Lebanon and sign papers to get a divorce, but the war was still in full swing and I wasn't prepared to go back. I asked him to forward the papers but he never did, I'm certain that he got around my signatures somehow. I'd be delighted if anyone can help me, thanks in advance.

It sounds as if you live in Ireland. I don't know Irish law, but the issue here is that you first should find out if a Lebanese divorce is recognized by Irish law at all, especially if it was a religious divorce (under Islamic law). Not all countries accept this kind of divorce. If Ireland does not accept it, you would not even need to look for the papers.

If she does accept this, then good luck. My experience with Lebanese official papers and the ability to ever get any has not really been good. You might instead look into possibilities to get a divorce in your home country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back