AM I BEING BLACKBALLED?

Acantha333

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,
I work in a field that is fairly new, and in my County, there are only 3 companies that hire in my level of expertise.
Last July I was hired to work full time, 3rd shift. I had a problem with a really bossy and pushy co worker, I asked my supervisor to intervein, and after that, life was hell for over a month at work..
Much more went into this, but the bottom line is this, I was asked if I wanted to resign? or?
So I resigned and walked out.
Its been over 5 months, I've only been asked to attend 1 interview, for which I was highly qualified for, and can't get another company to look at my resume. at the risk of being paranoid, I looked into other complaints from former employees, and there are a few like mine.
How do I find out if I'm actually being blackballed?
I should add...this is a small professional group of people, and it could be like "The good ol boy's club".

Hello,
How do I find out if I'm actually being blackballed?
I should add...this is a small professional group of people, and it could be like "The good ol boy's club".

You see a labor law attorney that represents employees. I disagree with Jack that the employers are necessarily in the clear so long as your former employer told them the truth. The details of what they've done matters, especially in California which is much more employee friendly than pretty much any other state.

You may wish to consider seeking employment in one of the other 57 counties in the state...

Your question does not raise any legal issue, and we obviously have no way of knowing how you could acquire the information you seek.

I work in a field that is fairly new, and in my County, there are only 3 companies that hire in my level of expertise.

Congratulations on becoming a pioneer in your community and/or profession/occupation.

Last July I was hired to work full time, 3rd shift. I had a problem with a really bossy and pushy co worker, I asked my supervisor to intervein, and after that, life was hell for over a month at work..
Much more went into this, but the bottom line is this, I was asked if I wanted to resign? or?

If you ever encounter an employee that is quarrelsome, troublesome, or an otherwise difficult person in the workplace the best way to deal with such a person is to ignore him/her.

The only time you should involve supervision or management is if the person is committing illegal acts against you or your employer.

The last thing any supervisor or manager wants to do in the workplace is to be asked to use her/his "superpowers" as a parent to resolve issues between ill mannered, misbehaving "adult adolescents".

So I resigned and walked out.

You have discovered the reason for your ongoing issues.

You summarily quit your job.

That can cause you to be labeled (according to those holding the power) as a "hothead".

Actions have consequences, so choose wisely, mate.

The BEST thing you can do is what all of us have done (or will do), get back up, dust yourself off, get back in the fight.

You're not licked unless you quit.

As long as you remain in the game, you haven't lost.

You are still competing for the prize, in your case, a great, new job.

Good luck.

Acantha, you do realize that employers do not check references until the very end of the employment process when they are ready to make an offer, right? And that they do not look at resumes unless they have an opening for a particular position? Or regularly share information about specific employees?

Back